cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

suggestions for someone new to credit...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

suggestions for someone new to credit...

I have been a long time reader of this forum. However new to credit as i just turned 18 about a month ago. In the last month i have apped and been approved for a new-to-me car ( with a cosigner) A capital one secured master card, $200 line of credit for a $99 deposite and A visa credit card through my local credit union with a $500 limit ( on my own) i am also an authorized user on a small sears mastercard for about 6 months now. . so far  i think i have done everything i could to start my credit. any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated.  Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: suggestions for someone new to credit...

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been a long time reader of this forum. However new to credit as i just turned 18 about a month ago. In the last month i have apped and been approved for a new-to-me car ( with a cosigner) A capital one secured master card, $200 line of credit for a $99 deposite and A visa credit card through my local credit union with a $500 limit ( on my own) i am also an authorized user on a small sears mastercard for about 6 months now. . so far  i think i have done everything i could to start my credit. any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated.  Smiley Happy

Other than the obvious? Be responsible with your credit, don't abuse it, don't spend above your means, etc. You'll be fine.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Other than the obvious? Be responsible with your credit, don't abuse it, don't spend above your means, etc. You'll be fine.

+1

Let the accounts age.

Don't apply for too much credit too fast.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1

Let the accounts age.

Don't apply for too much credit too fast.

Yeah, this too.

A huge mistake for young people is to actually have too much credit available to them. it's an easy (and a lot of times, sure-fire) way to get into a massive amount of debt; I learned the hard way. Then, the logic is "Meh, I'll pay it off when I'm out of college and have a good job." Trust me when I say this is harder than it sounds, because the more money you make, the more you want to spend.

Take the accounts you have, use them responsibly, pay in full and don't rack up debt. Your scores will shoot up and in a couple of years, you'll easily be able to get prime credit.

Message 4 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Sit for 6 months with the new car and the credit cards and then go on a smallish app spree - 6 MONTHS THOUGH!

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

Sit for 6 months with the new car and the credit cards and then go on a smallish app spree - 6 MONTHS THOUGH!

I'd say a year since the auto-loan is co-signed.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just be careful- Too much of something can hurt in the long run.. pay attention to what you spend and on what you are spending it on.. It's very easy to forget a transaction here and there.. and before you know it- you can't PIF because you've overspent Smiley Tongue

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Just be careful- Too much of something can hurt in the long run.. pay attention to what you spend and on what you are spending it on.. It's very easy to forget a transaction here and there.. and before you know it- you can't PIF because you've overspent Smiley Tongue

So true.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to the credit world, and congratulations on legality! You're officially held liable for all your actions! Lol.

But in all seriousness, considering you just turned 18 and already have an auto-loan, I would suggest to just sit tight for now and just let your credit grow right now. For an 18-year old, you really have all the credit you need right now to build some good credit. Your CapitalOne will definitely grow with you. Probably your CU card, as well. Continue to pay down that auto-loan. 

I would stay in the garden FOR AT LEAST A YEAR. Too many apps and cards is just temptation to overspend, and you don't want to fall into that pit with an autoloan in your hands.

Good luck with growing your credit, and spend responsibly!

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, considering you didn't have to start out with sub-prime, predatory lenders, I'd consider yourself lucky. Garden your existing cards and be responsible. It'll more than pay off in the long run.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.