Did you mean: 

the LAST Amex FR question. Period.

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: the LAST Amex FR question. Period.

Here's is $3K one

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22858165-post150.html

The trigger here appears to be that the person had a low income and applied for a Platinum (+ he had included access to a $1M trust in his app)

Message 11 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Nevertheless, many a post has said that if your CL goes past $24k you enter into "dangerous territory,"

It would help if people would start off by reading the 3x CLI guide.  It's linked in the Helpful Threads sticky at the top of this very subforum.  Note that it refers to a 4506-T which is not the same thing as an FR despite how many seem to assume that the two are the same thing.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/The-Definitive-Amex-3X-CLI-Guide/m-p/1811071

The following often (but not always) are potential reasons whyAmex asks for4506T for aCLI request.
  • New requested credit limit exceeds $25,000 for that particular account.
  • New requested credit limit would make overall credit extended across all Amex revolving accounts exceed $34,500 (post 123)
  • High internal risk score due to income on file to overall credit across amex and non-amex accounts ratio being too low. Unusual/large/manufactured/risky spending patterns.

@Anonymous wrote:

The question is:  What is the LOWEST CL a member had when he was FR?!?  I would like to know if there is a CL where Amex FR just won't happen.  I am sure there is.  A level where Amex security people just say "We don't know what you are doing; but, you are so bad at it and it's so insignificant, that we don't care!"  

It is not simply a matter of requested limit for FR's.  The assumption in your question is flawed.

You first clarification is significant, and thanks for that.  But, I didn't ask or want to know about what is the lowers CL than when asked for a CLI got a FR.  No, my question was what is the lowest CL that for whatever reason got the account suspended, frozen. I maybe should have explicitly use those two key words SUSPENDED/FROZEN.

Message 12 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

Here's is $3K one

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22858165-post150.html

The trigger here appears to be that the person had a low income and applied for a Platinum (+ he had included access to a $1M trust in his app)

Thanks for the link, but that is a very perplexing case in so many levels.  Amex supposedly froze a largely unused, recently opened card, with low CL because...?!?  It doesn't make sense to me, so there is more to this "story"...

Even people who believe the algorithms are watching 24/7 and when they see something they... well, in that case, there was nothing to watch...

Message 13 of 61
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Because he applied for a Platinum card.

Message 14 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am in a forum of liars!
What's the big deal?! If ur W2 reflects what you claimed upon opening the card who cares if the FR?! Hell they should FR on regular basis just to make sure they are not lending to ppl that can't pay!
If the card holder did not lie about his income why would any one be scared of an FR! To me it sounds like sound business practice!
Message 15 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

Because he applied for a Platinum card.

Well, since you saw his other posts, I haven't .. even if he did apply for the Platinum having low income is no reason to suspend his current account, it may be reason to deny his new request.  Why would his application trigger a FR?  I still don't understand, unless he applied giving different numbers from three months before.

Message 16 of 61
myjourney
Super Contributor

There are more low limit FR's I just used that one as a quick ref since it was the most recent but I saw more one from like 2007-2008 on a 1k limit so it can and does happen unfortunately. Even tho it may be expensive for Amex vs balance chasing with annual profits in the billions and the consumer and merchants paying for it in the long run via interest and swipe fees.....Do you really think they won't FR a low limit card if the algorithm flags the account?

Of course they will Lol

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 17 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I am in a forum of liars!
What's the big deal?! If ur W2 reflects what you claimed upon opening the card who cares if the FR?! Hell they should FR on regular basis just to make sure they are not lending to ppl that can't pay!
If the card holder did not lie about his income why would any one be scared of an FR! To me it sounds like sound business practice!

If Amex were to get rid of its liars, it would lose a lot of members, starting with many of the very rich ones...

Message 18 of 61
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

If you click the Thread link in the top right hand corner of the post I linked, you can see the entire 21 page discussion, of which this is part.   But....   your simple request has gone from asking about what is the lowest CL that had an FR to a detailed discussion of any case presented, apparently wanting a "real FR" which you haven't defined.

Message 19 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

@myjourney wrote:

There are more low limit FR's I just used that one as a quick ref since it was the most recent but I saw more one from like 2007-2008 on a 1k limit so it can and does happen unfortunately. Even tho it may be expensive for Amex vs balance chasing with annual profits in the billions and the consumer and merchants paying for it in the long run via interest and swipe fees.....Do you really think they won't FR a low limit card if the algorithm flags the account?

Of course they will Lol

That is correct, I don't believe they do.  My thinking is that every single day, among its many millions of members, those algorithms detect thousands of irregularities.  Heck, I commit a few myself, and Amex Security couldn't possibly pursue more than a fraction of them.  So, most likely there is a threshold under which they just don't bother.  

But, I am open to evidence to the contrary.Smiley Wink

Message 20 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.