Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the duck card question

tag
slap_happy
Frequent Contributor

the duck card question

hey guys, seeing a lot of talk about the duck and beaver recently, 

I checked the card out, mostly 2x gas and grocery, 1x everything else, 3x duck stuff but not all of us like the ducks lol

seems like the rewards are not great, lots of other cards with better stuff, so i was trying to understand what all the fuss is about... 

is it that they are giving out high CL's? that seems to be to me the only "good thing" about the card. am I missing something?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: the duck card question

I think its the high CL's and the fact that you do not have to be a member of the CU.
Message 2 of 17
Jbb2788
Regular Contributor

Yeah I think it was the high CL's they were giving out. I applied and received a $1000 limit and now I'm wondering why i ever applied for the card in the first place...I'll keep it for the extra CL but I don't think it will be in my long term plans.

**10/31/13
EX-650
EQ-660
TU-660
GOAL: 750 ACROSS THE BOARD
Last App: 10/13
Gardening Until: 4/14 (At least)
Message 3 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@slap_happy wrote:

hey guys, seeing a lot of talk about the duck and beaver recently, 

I checked the card out, mostly 2x gas and grocery, 1x everything else, 3x duck stuff but not all of us like the ducks lol

seems like the rewards are not great, lots of other cards with better stuff, so i was trying to understand what all the fuss is about... 

is it that they are giving out high CL's? that seems to be to me the only "good thing" about the card. am I missing something?

Not sure what you mean about "big fuss" just like other posters have mentioned what the big fuss is about having a Visa Signature or even someone asking about the big fuss on the CSP.

Generally, individuals will gravitate to any new trends or products based on demand, experiences, feedback or simple curiosity - perhaps exiting a horrible bank relationship?...remember the Discover it?  How many flocked to that!?

IME, it was an easy choice based on my own research and the ease of not having to be pegged to a membership requirement with OCCU just to apply for specific producs - plus one HP overall.  And, I can always expand the relationship beyond just the CC.  It this were NFCU, by the time I finish posting this message, I would have incurred roughly 20 HPs?  maybe Lexie can chime in...  LOL. Generous CLs?  Sure.  Great overall C/S?  Absolutely.  Competitive products or rewards comparable to peer CUs or similarly sized CBs?  To a great extent, but not horrible by any means.

Most CUs can require an initial membership, but on the upside, offer very generous benefits with the overall relationship.  It also just happens that NFCU is out of reach for me, and I didn't gain much momentum or interest in others like SDFCU, DCU or Alliant.  

Message 4 of 17
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

+1

I already have cards that meet my spending habits.  It was mostly curiosity that was rewarded with a high limit.  I figure I will just use it for small things that have no better rewards options.

Message 5 of 17
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Like others have posted I did not get this card for the rewards. It was an easy in with a CU for me. I am not eligible for NFCU or anything similar so this was the next best thing.
Message 6 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 7 of 17
slap_happy
Frequent Contributor

ok, I would consider myself new to credit cards and what I mean by that is I had CC my whole life but did not Understand them the way I do now via this board,, you guys have helped my alot within just a few short months, my fakos have jumped 100+ points in 3 months, I can only imagine what my real fico is, my facos are in the low 800's now where they were in the 650's in july. 

you guys mention that you are getting in with a CU. is there a benifit with that?

Message 8 of 17
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

I did mostly to expand my financial relationships. They may offer more competitive financing (car, house) down the road as well.

Also, if one bank shuts down my credit for whatever reason I feel others will most likely follow, but CU not necessarily
Message 9 of 17
slap_happy
Frequent Contributor

@B335is wrote:
I did mostly to expand my financial relationships. They may offer more competitive financing (car, house) down the road as well.

Also, if one bank shuts down my credit for whatever reason I feel others will most likely follow, but CU not necessarily

ok, another question, I live in FL, you mention car, house ect. obviously I would not be a member of OCCU since they are in oregon, wouldnt that pose a problem?

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.