Did you mean: 

the old Blue Cash card (Amex) still available

tag
oracles
Valued Contributor

Re: the old Blue Cash card (Amex) still available

@longtimelurker wrote:

@oracles wrote:

Just want to give everyone some advice if you have never Manufactured spend before.

READ READ READ READ before you get into this game.

It can be very risky and you can lose out. There are sites out there dedicated to MS and i would advise you to read and learn the game before you enter.

Also start slow.

Just my 2 cents

+1 on the bolded bit! 

More conflicted on starting slow:

It's usually impossible to know what an issuer is looking for.   There have been cases where VERY low MS was the reason for adverse action, basically some transaction was flagged and the accounts shut down.  Given this, there is a sort of constant component to the risk, and getting shut down after making $5 is very different from getting shut down after making $10,000!   This is why some say if it is worth doing it's worth doing big.   This is particularly true in situations that are explicitly time limited, like the 1y TYP and 6 month TD and WF cards. 

And in the latter case, some people going from $2K spend in the first month to $10K in the fourth month  HAVE raised flags with the issuers because of change, whereas starting with $10K and keeping it there went better.

On the other hand, common sense (not always right!) suggests that small amounts of spend are much less likely to cause problems than big amounts, as you are more likely to be under the radar.

But perhaps more importantly, because it is a learning experience, by starting small you are putting yourself at less risk of loss (buying the wrong cards, getting funds tied up for months etc), so if you are unsure, yes, start slow.

This is exactly what I meant about starting slow

Message 91 of 141
supervelous
Regular Contributor

Thanks to OP!  I was gardening, but with Amex backdating, and as I regularly buy Vanilla Ice Cream at CVS I could NOT pass this up.   Should be able to hit the $6,500 in a little over a month, then gravy for 11 months.  Approved for $5K, will try to CLI after 61 days.   Should the reward structure stay in place, might even be enough to have me cancel my BCP at the anniversary in August and save the $75 annual fee.

Message 92 of 141
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I'm planning just to downgrade my BCP to BCE in Feb, and after 60 days moving most of the CL to the Blue.    I would be a little wary of doing a 61 day CLI on a card you are doing a lot of MS on.  Generally the rule seems to be avoid giving any reason to have someone extra look at your account.   But no evidence for this!

Message 93 of 141
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@oracles wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@oracles wrote:

Is CVS considered a drugstore?

Yes

If tihs is accurate, i am so going to PC now lol

I'm applying Jan 1, to get backdated to Jan 1987, worth the HP!

Were you able to secure this card?  Is it still available?

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 94 of 141
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

Nevermind.  I applied for it online and was approved instantly.

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 95 of 141
vagrants
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

I'm planning just to downgrade my BCP to BCE in Feb, and after 60 days moving most of the CL to the Blue.    I would be a little wary of doing a 61 day CLI on a card you are doing a lot of MS on.  Generally the rule seems to be avoid giving any reason to have someone extra look at your account.   But no evidence for this!

Don't be scared. There was no problem for me.

AMEX Cash Rebate (this isn't Costco, older version of Blue Cash), AMEX Blue Cash, AMEX BCP, AMEX SPG (personal), Barclay Sallie Mae Plat MC, BBVA Compass NBA AMEX (No AF), Capital One QuickSilver VISA Sig, Capital One QuickSilver World MC, 2x Chase Freedom VISA Sig, Chase Ink Bold World Elite MC, Citi Dividend AMEX/World MC, Citi Double Cash, Citi Hilton VISA Sig, Discover More, Discover It, Fidelity AMEX, Huntington Voice World MC, MyPoints Rewards VISA, 2x US Bank Cash+ VISA Sig
Message 96 of 141
vagrants
Regular Contributor

@oracles wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@oracles wrote:

Just want to give everyone some advice if you have never Manufactured spend before.

READ READ READ READ before you get into this game.

It can be very risky and you can lose out. There are sites out there dedicated to MS and i would advise you to read and learn the game before you enter.

Also start slow.

Just my 2 cents

+1 on the bolded bit! 

More conflicted on starting slow:

It's usually impossible to know what an issuer is looking for.   There have been cases where VERY low MS was the reason for adverse action, basically some transaction was flagged and the accounts shut down.  Given this, there is a sort of constant component to the risk, and getting shut down after making $5 is very different from getting shut down after making $10,000!   This is why some say if it is worth doing it's worth doing big.   This is particularly true in situations that are explicitly time limited, like the 1y TYP and 6 month TD and WF cards. 

And in the latter case, some people going from $2K spend in the first month to $10K in the fourth month  HAVE raised flags with the issuers because of change, whereas starting with $10K and keeping it there went better.

On the other hand, common sense (not always right!) suggests that small amounts of spend are much less likely to cause problems than big amounts, as you are more likely to be under the radar.

But perhaps more importantly, because it is a learning experience, by starting small you are putting yourself at less risk of loss (buying the wrong cards, getting funds tied up for months etc), so if you are unsure, yes, start slow.

This is exactly what I meant about starting slow

.....it varies....some say start big...so you don't have to deal with fraud alerts, establish big spendings early, etc. Use common sense, don't recycle CL/don't be too greedy/caught up on gains/how everybody else is performing MS/spead your MS across CCs/etc., and should be fine. Oh, yes, be clever. Famous VR -> BB is not the only lucrative way.

AMEX Cash Rebate (this isn't Costco, older version of Blue Cash), AMEX Blue Cash, AMEX BCP, AMEX SPG (personal), Barclay Sallie Mae Plat MC, BBVA Compass NBA AMEX (No AF), Capital One QuickSilver VISA Sig, Capital One QuickSilver World MC, 2x Chase Freedom VISA Sig, Chase Ink Bold World Elite MC, Citi Dividend AMEX/World MC, Citi Double Cash, Citi Hilton VISA Sig, Discover More, Discover It, Fidelity AMEX, Huntington Voice World MC, MyPoints Rewards VISA, 2x US Bank Cash+ VISA Sig
Message 97 of 141
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Makes my head hurt trying to figure out if the Old Blue is worth it. So much opportunity cost to consider in a various scenarios....and then there's the old Walmart SC snag in that Amex's codes don't count them as grocery/supermarkets whereas Visa does. I dunno.

And finally, even if I actually was able to accurately figure that the Old Blue is somehow worth it....by how much?? All for an extra $100 or so per year? Ugh...I love feeling like I am optimizing at all times but that has its limits. :-)

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 98 of 141
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@ztnjpv wrote:

Makes my head hurt trying to figure out if the Old Blue is worth it. So much opportunity cost to consider in a various scenarios....and then there's the old Walmart SC snag in that Amex's codes don't count them as grocery/supermarkets whereas Visa does. I dunno.

And finally, even if I actually was able to accurately figure that the Old Blue is somehow worth it....by how much?? All for an extra $100 or so per year? Ugh...I love feeling like I am optimizing at all times but that has its limits. :-)

While Blue can be worth it a little for normal spending (if you spent everything on supermarkets, after about 12K per year it beats Blue Cash) but the reason why many are "excited" if for manufactured spend on the card (made possible by uncapped 5x on groceries drugstores and gas).  Then the gain is more likely to be several thousand per year.

Message 99 of 141
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Yes, longtimelurker.

The ol' MS. I used to love the idea. I have lost much of the will. So much work (IMHO). I slide $1k to my wife every month via Amazon (which I used to just transfer from my checking to hers anyway). So I figured I'd cash in an easy $20 per month by using Fidelity Amex or towards my $10k in spending on Citi Hilton reserve for a free room at Hilton Properties (expensive free room in NYC!) 

I have one of those obscure alternative debit cards lying around somewhere. I never even used it. Can't even remember the brand. Got a BB too. Never really use it. I used it a couple of times to pay a CC bill. I loaded the BB with prepaid debit cards I received from US Bank and PenFed for spending on my Cash+ and Platinum Rewards. It was fun once or twice. 

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 100 of 141
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.