the old Blue Cash card (Amex) still available

tag
w003ptr
Contributor

Re: the old Blue Cash card (Amex) still available

@longtimelurker wrote:

@w003ptr wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

I gave in and applied 2 days early.  Got a 14 day message followed immediately by email saying I was approved.

Are you just going to SD it since you have BCP?

No!  I will SD the BCP, and some of my other cards (Sallie Mae for example).  This is a much better card as it is uncapped.

What about the BCP AF? 

Last App 12/8/13 - BoA Better Balance Rewards

Wallet: Discover IT $4500, Chase Freedom $3k, Citi Forward $3000, AmEx BCE $2k

Sock Drawer: Citi Diamond Preferred $10500, BoA BBR $7500, Citi Platinum Select $2200, AmEx Clear $2k, J.Crew $1850, US Bank Platinum $500

12/2013: TU = 763, EX = 791, EQ = ??
Message 41 of 141
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@w003ptr wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@w003ptr wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

I gave in and applied 2 days early.  Got a 14 day message followed immediately by email saying I was approved.

No!  I will SD the BCP, and some of my other cards (Sallie Mae for example).  This is a much better card as it is uncapped.

What about the BCP AF? 

I will see what happens (if there is a surge of apps and the card gets nerfed).  If after a few months things are fine, I will downgrade my BCP to a BCE (and still not use it).

This is a somewhat unusual thing, a card that had apparently gone becoming available.  Like the Zync reappaearing for a lot of people here.

Message 42 of 141
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

So does everyone here think there is more value in this old Blue Cash or it depends on the persons spending habits ???

In my wallet: Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex Everyday Preferred $15,000, Amex Starwood $10,000, Chase Freedom Visa Signature $10,000, Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15,000, Chase Ink Plus Visa Signature $5000 Barclaycard Arrival Plus MasterCard World Elite $10,000, Cap One Quicksilver MasterCard $6000, Citi Prestige World Elite MasterCard $10,000, Citi Forward Visa $6900, Citi Premier World Elite MasterCard $5,800, Discover IT $8500
Message 43 of 141
w003ptr
Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@w003ptr wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@w003ptr wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

What about the BCP AF? 

I will see what happens (if there is a surge of apps and the card gets nerfed).  If after a few months things are fine, I will downgrade my BCP to a BCE (and still not use it).

This is a somewhat unusual thing, a card that had apparently gone becoming available.  Like the Zync reappaearing for a lot of people here.

Ah good plan.  I wonder if I can PC my Amex Clear to Blue Cash...

Last App 12/8/13 - BoA Better Balance Rewards

Wallet: Discover IT $4500, Chase Freedom $3k, Citi Forward $3000, AmEx BCE $2k

Sock Drawer: Citi Diamond Preferred $10500, BoA BBR $7500, Citi Platinum Select $2200, AmEx Clear $2k, J.Crew $1850, US Bank Platinum $500

12/2013: TU = 763, EX = 791, EQ = ??
Message 44 of 141
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Jayb5635 wrote:
So does everyone here think there is more value in this old Blue Cash or it depends on the persons spending habits ???

Definitely depends on spending habits!

If you spend less than $6500 a year in the three categories (groceries, gas, drug stores) then this card is really not for you because you will be getting 0.5% on most stuff, 1% on these, and you can do much better.

As an earlier poster said, if you spend "enough" on groceries (above $10K) then this card is better.  If you spend on gas, and don't have a 5% gas card, then the $10K limit decreases.   

And finally, if you do manufactured spend at CVS, well, no contest!

Message 45 of 141
phonic
Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

As an earlier poster said, if you spend "enough" on groceries (above $10K) then this card is better.

$12025 to be exact Smiley Happy.

Limits: PRG=NPSL, CSP=$16k, BCP=$30k, DIT=$15k, USAA=$6k, CDW=$12.5k, IHG=$9k, BBY=$2k, BOA=$13k
Message 46 of 141
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@phonic wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

As an earlier poster said, if you spend "enough" on groceries (above $10K) then this card is better.

$12025 to be exact Smiley Happy.

Well, you quoted AF as $79 rather than $75, so I didn't check the rest!  Also, gas spending becomes important in lowering the threshold, for those that don't have 5% year round, as this is 2% more than BCP gives.

And of course if you spend lots at the select department stores, BCP is the way to go.

Message 47 of 141
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

By manufactured spend, I assume you mean buying gift cards, such as amazon ???

In my wallet: Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex Everyday Preferred $15,000, Amex Starwood $10,000, Chase Freedom Visa Signature $10,000, Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15,000, Chase Ink Plus Visa Signature $5000 Barclaycard Arrival Plus MasterCard World Elite $10,000, Cap One Quicksilver MasterCard $6000, Citi Prestige World Elite MasterCard $10,000, Citi Forward Visa $6900, Citi Premier World Elite MasterCard $5,800, Discover IT $8500
Message 48 of 141
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Jayb5635 wrote:
By manufactured spend, I assume you mean buying gift cards, such as amazon ???

No, buying Vanilla Reloads or Visa/MC giftcards.   Manufactured Spend really requires a way to turn the spend into cash to pay off the credit card so the process can be repeated.

Message 49 of 141
Timmy_Hardwell
Established Member

Lurker,

I hope this works out for you as you intend....I was actually going to app for BCP in January, and I stumbled upon the old Blue Cash web page while exploring the amex site earlier today........  

i'll pull the trigger on it too, in January.......

with regard to meeting the 6500 spending,  i plan to seek out ice cream from a combination of riteaid/walgreens/cvs/7eleven....maybe throw in a couple of visa gc's from the grocery store too, to mix it up

Message 50 of 141
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.