Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the old Blue Cash card (Amex) still available

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: the old Blue Cash card (Amex) still available

@Jayb5635 wrote:
I agree, that is a fantastic way to generate rewards. I was hoping to use the Chase Ink next year to buy either vanilla cards or gift cards to pay rent. From what I have read elsewhere though, vanilla cards are dwindling in availability here in NYC where I reside.

For all who haven't done this:  Just be aware that there are risks.  Your cards can be shut down, and you can be blacklisted.  So evaluate that against expected rewards!

Message 61 of 141
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

Ok here is another thought. Would it make more sense to everyone to use the Blue Cash to buy gift cards instead of using the Citi Forward ??? I currently have the Citi tethered to my amazon and iTunes accounts. I get the sense that people generally do not value Thank You points highly.

In my wallet: Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex Everyday Preferred $15,000, Amex Starwood $10,000, Chase Freedom Visa Signature $10,000, Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15,000, Chase Ink Plus Visa Signature $5000 Barclaycard Arrival Plus MasterCard World Elite $10,000, Cap One Quicksilver MasterCard $6000, Citi Prestige World Elite MasterCard $10,000, Citi Forward Visa $6900, Citi Premier World Elite MasterCard $5,800, Discover IT $8500
Message 62 of 141
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Jayb5635 wrote:
I thought I read elsewhere that one could use the gift cards to reload a bluebird account at Walmart.

You can, at least some times.   People have reported that some Walmarts are insisting on a "proper" debit card, one with your name on, rather than a gift card.

Visa cards are usually $1 more, and can't be loaded at home, unlike VRs, which is why VRs are more popular.  But once the Bluebird limit is reached (5K per card per month), you can use (subject to the above issue) Visa gift cards to purchase money orders at Walmart (this is very cheap, like 80 cents for a $1000 money order) which can then be deposited.

I do both VR and gift cards of different issuers and VRs are easier if you can do it. gift cards require some knowledge of which ones to get, which ones work, a trip to walmart where there machine is up etc. VRs are easier (instant load) and cheaper 3.95 vs others unless you can get a much higher multiplier 

Message 63 of 141
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

Ah ok. I just somewhere else online that cvs is a good location to purchase the VR cards. My ideal scenario would be buy about 1k dollars worth a month and use that to pay my rent. Through the Chase Ink, that would be 5k UR points a month. Is it safe to do that ??? Would I get in trouble with Chase or something ???

In my wallet: Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex Everyday Preferred $15,000, Amex Starwood $10,000, Chase Freedom Visa Signature $10,000, Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15,000, Chase Ink Plus Visa Signature $5000 Barclaycard Arrival Plus MasterCard World Elite $10,000, Cap One Quicksilver MasterCard $6000, Citi Prestige World Elite MasterCard $10,000, Citi Forward Visa $6900, Citi Premier World Elite MasterCard $5,800, Discover IT $8500
Message 64 of 141
Timmy_Hardwell
Established Member

Just spotted and read through the thread on flyertalk .   i suspect one you guys probably started it over there......

man, i feel conflicted now, lol......on the one hand, i'm happy  to share and spread good news to other card enthusiasts.......yet at the same time i'm fearing that Amex will ultimately nix this thing sooner rather than later, now

that being said, i sure hope the application link is up in early 2014!

Lurker, please get back to us next year on your VR-buying experiences with this card..

Have a Happy New Year everyone!

Message 65 of 141
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@oracles wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Jayb5635 wrote:
Because of the years of credit history gained. It will boost the AAoA.

Right, in my case it adds 27 years to the total age which doesn't shift the AAoA much (because of the number of accounts) but is probably better for the score, certainly long-term, than the impact of the HP.   Only question is, will this be available Jan 1!

well it would add 7 years to mine but i just dont see the benefit of having 2 blue cards

I though the whole point of credit cards was to get as many Blue ones as possible...

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 66 of 141
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@oracles wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Jayb5635 wrote:
Because of the years of credit history gained. It will boost the AAoA.

Right, in my case it adds 27 years to the total age which doesn't shift the AAoA much (because of the number of accounts) but is probably better for the score, certainly long-term, than the impact of the HP.   Only question is, will this be available Jan 1!

well it would add 7 years to mine but i just dont see the benefit of having 2 blue cards

I though the whole point of credit cards was to get as many Blue ones as possible...

ROFLOL

Leave it to you Smiley LOL

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 67 of 141
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Timmy_Hardwell wrote:

Just spotted and read through the thread on flyertalk .   i suspect one you guys probably started it over there......

man, i feel conflicted now, lol......on the one hand, i'm happy  to share and spread good news to other card enthusiasts.......yet at the same time i'm fearing that Amex will ultimately nix this thing sooner rather than later, now

that being said, i sure hope the application link is up in early 2014!

Lurker, please get back to us next year on your VR-buying experiences with this card..

Have a Happy New Year everyone!

This is the usual conflict, a lot of people share (and sometimes see things explode) others don't.  My bias is that most people gain info from reading someone else at some point, so it seems "wrong" (but understandable) to want to stop the sharing of something once you are in!    So I have posted new things on FT, which get picked up by the blogs and quickly go away, but at least for a short time, some people benefit!

Message 68 of 141
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Timmy_Hardwell wrote:

Lurker,

I hope this works out for you as you intend....I was actually going to app for BCP in January, and I stumbled upon the old Blue Cash web page while exploring the amex site earlier today........  

i'll pull the trigger on it too, in January.......

with regard to meeting the 6500 spending,  i plan to seek out ice cream from a combination of riteaid/walgreens/cvs/7eleven....maybe throw in a couple of visa gc's from the grocery store too, to mix it up

Thanks for the find, wonder how long it has been there!  The only reason I did it now rather than Jan 1 is I was concerned it might be pulled.  

With your post, and the thread on flyertalk, several new applications, which might concern Amex.   But I assume the link is there on purpose not like the Citi 5x TYP where people found a random link that still worked.

I doubt it will be pulled. I recall seeing this card offer back in April, before I applied for my BCE.

My spending is rather modest, so I never paid much attention after reading that first $6500 business. By  the way, has anyone asked American Express about the $400 gas limit? I assume thats per transaction, and not per month, but they don't really come out and explain that cap...

I'll be nice and paste the relevant text here, so you can see what I mean:

For your first $6,500 of eligible purchases in the 12 billing periods in a row beginning with the one in which the anniversary of your Card Account occurs (reward year), you will receive a reward of 1% on Everyday Purchases and a reward of 0.5% on all other eligible purchases. For each dollar of eligible purchases in excess of $6,500 in that same reward year, you will receive a reward of 5% on Everyday Purchases and a reward of 1% on other purchases. If your billing cycle changes, the length of your reward year will also change.
Everyday Purchases are: eligible purchases made at supermarkets located in the U.S. (superstores and warehouse clubs are not considered supermarkets); eligible purchases of $400 or less of gasoline at gas stations located in the U.S. (superstores, supermarkets and warehouse clubs that sell gasoline are not considered gas stations), and eligible purchases made at U.S. locations of select major drugstores. (The current list of select major drugstores is available at americanexpress.com/rewards-info.)

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 69 of 141
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Jayb5635 wrote:
Ah ok. I just somewhere else online that cvs is a good location to purchase the VR cards. My ideal scenario would be buy about 1k dollars worth a month and use that to pay my rent. Through the Chase Ink, that would be 5k UR points a month. Is it safe to do that ??? Would I get in trouble with Chase or something ???

Don't think the Ink cards cover drug stores?

The problem with manufactured spending is that there are risks, and they are not necessarily proportional to spend.   That said, $1K a month is probably way under the radar, so you would be ok.

Message 70 of 141
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.