cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

think my secured card has become unsecured. not sure though..

tag
finsfan07

think my secured card has become unsecured. not sure though..

So last year March 2013 I along with my wife applied for a credit card at bank of America.she was approved for $1000, and I in the other hand was declined. So I then applied for a secured card and deposited $500 on it. That's how I got started, now fast forward to today and i saw that $500 dollars  was deposited into my savings account, stating secured card collateral refund. So does that mean my card is unsecured now? But my card limit didn't go up. Still at $500 dollars, so I'm confused.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: think my secured card has become unsecured. not sure though..

Yup your card should be unsecured. They just didn't give you a CLI. You can try requesting one, but it will be a JP.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 15
sailor_mercury
Valued Contributor

@finsfan07 wrote:

So last year March 2013 I along with my wife applied for a credit card at bank of America.she was approved for $1000, and I in the other hand was declined. So I then applied for a secured card and deposited $500 on it. That's how I got started, now fast forward to today and i saw that $500 dollars  was deposited into my savings account, stating secured card collateral refund. So does that mean my card is unsecured now? But my card limit didn't go up. Still at $500 dollars, so I'm confused.

Some secured cards "graduate" after 9-12 months and BoA is one of them.  Congrats!  You might of also received an interest rate reduction. 

You can search the forums or maybe other members will chime in you may be able to ask BoA for a Credit Line Increase (CLI) now as well that would also be unsecured.  I would make sure it's a Soft Pull not a Hard Pull.

Congrats on your graduation! Smiley Happy

NFCU nCashRewards VISA - $20,000 | NFCU nRewards $10,000
AMEX Costco TrueEarnings $5,000 | AMEX Delta Gold $1,500
Chase SWA VISA $5,000 | Chase Slate $3,500 | Chase Amazon Rewards VISA $3,000
HSN Mastecard $3,500
Message 3 of 15
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

@sailor_mercury wrote:

@finsfan07 wrote:

Some secured cards "graduate" after 9-12 months and BoA is one of them.  Congrats!  You might of also received an interest rate reduction. 

You can search the forums or maybe other members will chime in you may be able to ask BoA for a Credit Line Increase (CLI) now as well that would also be unsecured.  I would make sure it's a Soft Pull not a Hard Pull.

Congrats on your graduation! Smiley Happy

Congrats on the graduation!

And yea, you can ask for an CLI after 3months. Just keep in mind that it will be an HP. Not sure what CB they'll pull for you but they tend to pull TU most of the times here (FL)

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 4 of 15
alvon123
Super Contributor

congrats

Message 5 of 15
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Congrats! Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 6 of 15
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

Congrats Great job on getting it unsecured!!! I got mine in april of 2013 I am hoping I dont have to wait the full year like you. What other cards do you have? IF you dont have any or if they are under 500 thats why the probably didnt up your limit.

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 7 of 15
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Message 8 of 15
baller4life
Super Contributor

Yep you got graduated! Congrats!!

Message 9 of 15
finsfan07

Big blue A couple months later like in May I got another secured card through capital one. Paid 49 and got $200. That's all I got, but this month capital one raise my credit limit to $300. But yeah those are all my cards, just these  two.

And sailor mercury should I contact bank of America to ask if any changes has occurred with my interest rate?

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.