Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

thinking about getting a Capital 1 card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: thinking about getting a Capital 1 card

There is huge discrepancy between my CL. My initial CL with BofA was $2500. Every year I receive a CLI. The first year, I received a CLI of $2500. The second year, I received a CLI of $5000. My current CL is now $10,500. I have had the Capital1 since 2002; the BofA since 2005. I also have other CC with CL in the thousands. It has been my personal experience that BofA is very generous with their CL.

EQ FICO: 721 as of 11Nov08

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

well I looked up Bank of America and there are 3 cards I'm pre-approved for - starting at 1,500 each. I was told to avoid visa or mastercard logos, although I'm not sure why this is. Here are each of thier perks:

The last one on the bottom has a mastercard logo - which would be best do u think? I don't travel much and I'venever encountered "cash back" promotions before. I was thinking the middle one...

#1: Earn 1.25 point for every $1 in net retail purchases§. Cash Rewards begin at only 2,500 points. Earn and redeem your points for cash back, travel with no blackout dates, car rental and hotel rewards, brand name merchandise, or gift certificates§.

#2: Earn cash rewards of 1.25% for every $1 in net retail transactions. No annual fee and no limit to how much cash back you can earn. Redeem easily via statement credit, check, or direct deposit.

#3: Cardmembers enjoy peace of mind with Total Security Protection® Package, which protects your card and your purchases.

Message Edited by Iridescent_Identity on 11-11-2008 05:39 PM
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

BUMP?
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

well I looked up Bank of America and there are 3 cards I'm pre-approved for - starting at 1,500 each. I was told to avoid visa or mastercard logos, although I'm not sure why this is. Here are each of thier perks:

The last one on the bottom has a mastercard logo - which would be best do u think? I don't travel much and I'venever encountered "cash back" promotions before. I was thinking the middle one...

#1: Earn 1.25 point for every $1 in net retail purchases§. Cash Rewards begin at only 2,500 points. Earn and redeem your points for cash back, travel with no blackout dates, car rental and hotel rewards, brand name merchandise, or gift certificates§.

#2: Earn cash rewards of 1.25% for every $1 in net retail transactions. No annual fee and no limit to how much cash back you can earn. Redeem easily via statement credit, check, or direct deposit.

#3: Cardmembers enjoy peace of mind with Total Security Protection® Package, which protects your card and your purchases.

Message Edited by Iridescent_Identity on 11-11-2008 05:39 PM

I would go with #2, if you don't mind having the Amex network. The visa/MC they offer, you can use the shop safe for virtual card numbers, which you can't do with the Amex.

If you would rather choose from the rewards, then choose option 1. (The rewards aren't really spectacular, thus why I chose the CB card)

If the AMEX network limits where you can use the card, then choose #3 and go for Visa/MC.

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Iridescent_Identity wrote:

well I looked up Bank of America and there are 3 cards I'm pre-approved for - starting at 1,500 each. I was told to avoid visa or mastercard logos, although I'm not sure why this is.

There is no reason in the world to avoid Visa or MC.  They are the most commonly accepted cards in the U.S.

The only time you want to avoid a card with a Visa or MC logo is if you're explictly looking for a store card.  Otherwise, if you're looking for a bank card, I can't imagine why anyone would tell you to avoid Visa/MC.

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I must admit that I didn't read page one first to see why they were suggesting to avoid Visa/MC.

Duh! Sorry OP.

Listen to Cheddar, he pays much more attention than I do. Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

stef37 wrote:

I must admit that I didn't read page one first to see why they were suggesting to avoid Visa/MC.

Duh! Sorry OP.

Listen to Cheddar, he pays much more attention than I do. Smiley Happy

Actually, I have to confess that although I had read the first page, it was quite a while ago, and I didn't put two and two together to remember that the advice to avoid Visa/MC was right here in this thread. LOL

Listen to stef37, OP. Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not familiar with what the "AMEX" network may be - i'm still relatively new to many terms used in here. : D In any case, I suppose store cards with the visa or master card logo is what the person meant when not to get them. Didn't realize it made a difference honestly. Sheesh I'm green!
Message 18 of 19
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Iridescent_Identity wrote:
I'm not familiar with what the "AMEX" network may be - i'm still relatively new to many terms used in here. : D In any case, I suppose store cards with the visa or master card logo is what the person meant when not to get them. Didn't realize it made a difference honestly. Sheesh I'm green!
Oh, believe me, after 15 months of gnawing my way through this stuff, I'm still learning. Smiley Wink

It does get better.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.