cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

thinking about switching to an online bank.

tag
PetRaccoon
New Contributor

Re: ARe: thinking about switching to an online bank.

@dobirdsmommy wrote:

I have Chase in NY and I do not have to keep a min amount..  We deposit my husbands check via the Ipad and I have my check DD every other week. I do not pay any fees at all

No Monthly Service Fee4with:

TU08:: 754 (4/14) EQ: 745 (6/14) 753 (1/13) Ex: 766 (12/11)
Goal: 800! Then Keep it there and keep growing!~
Card(s): HSBC Premier WMC: 5,000 (7/09), Chase Freedom 6,000 (11/11) BCE 3,200 (12/11) Chase Saph: 5,000 (5/12)
Message 21 of 32
coterotie
Established Contributor

Re: thinking about switching to an online bank.

We have accounts with a local CU, USAA and ING.  Of the three, USAA is my favorite.

You can make a deposit of a check at a convenient UPS store, it is instantaneous, free and the funds are usually available immediately.

We transfer money from the local CU and even though it takes a few days to disappear from that account, we get immediate availability at USAA

No fees for ANY atm, they refund any fees that a foreign atm charges.

The iPhone, iPad aps are pretty sweet.  On one screen I have every balance to every credit product, deposit product, investment product, IRA, Pension at all 15 different places we have or owe money.  With a drill down capability that logs into the detail of those accounts.

All of this without full membership.

If you can get full membership, we were able to save 50% on our homeowners insurance and they have products for vehicles that aren't being driven.  So I can fully insure a car we're saving for my son for $50/year.  If I want to drive it one weekend, I can just pick up insurance for that weekend.
Don't have any credit products yet, but that will hopefully change shortly.

ING takes an extra day, just to transfer money between ING Bank and ING Brokerage which is ridiculous.  USAA is instantaneous.

We have the local CU, because a branch is located in the building with my wife's office.  We started with them several years ago when we made the switch from commercial banks to credit unions.

Even though I was a VP of a commercial bank, it is highly unlikely we'll ever deal with a local commercial bank again.

Message 22 of 32
giants1986
Valued Member

I actually just applied for an Ally Checking and Savings account since it seemed to be a good fit for me. I was told to call and confirm some details and now I'm waiting 3-5 days while my application is reviewed. A bit frustrating as I was ready to make this my direct deposit account. Hopefully I get an answer quickly.

Equifax - 682
Trans Union - 687
Message 23 of 32
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@giants1986 wrote:

I actually just applied for an Ally Checking and Savings account since it seemed to be a good fit for me. I was told to call and confirm some details and now I'm waiting 3-5 days while my application is reviewed. A bit frustrating as I was ready to make this my direct deposit account. Hopefully I get an answer quickly.

Yes, the process of opening is a drawback of online banking, and the slow availability of deposits for the first 30 days.   But the rates generally make up for it!

Message 24 of 32
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@bs6054 wrote:

@giants1986 wrote:

Yes, the process of opening is a drawback of online banking, and the slow availability of deposits for the first 30 days.   But the rates generally make up for it!

The availability of funds for new accounts will be the same even if its a brick and mortar bank.  However, the processing time to get accounts opened can be delayed due to the banks policy on indentity verification.  That being said, I have accounts  with Allant ( took 2  days to open needed copies of my DL and a utility bill and I received my packet a week or so later),  DCU ( I don't live anywhere near them so it was opened online/mail) and I was a customer of ING ( closed them in November - something about Cap 1).  I have had accounts with BofA and WF and swear I will never go back.  My deposits post immediately, there are no service fees and my checks are free.  What little contact I have had with CS has been professional and more than satisfactory. 

I have been an account holder with DCU since 2005 and Alliant since 2012. 

Message 25 of 32
nickn86
Contributor

I have Chase checking as a convert from WaMu.  It's pretty terrible.  I'm in grad school so I don't have direct deposit so I'll get hit with a $12 fee every month the funds in my account fall below a certain amount (I forget what it is).  Having been with Chase for 4 or so years, I've probably paid around $100 in fees because of that.  I never paid a cent to WaMu.  I've heard free checking is hard to come by now because of the overdraft fee legislation.

Also, Chase checking draws no interest and their savings account interest is .1 percent (which means you'll be getting pocket change every month in interest).  I should have switched, but I appreciated the convenience of Chase (their branches are EVERYWHERE in NYC and Chicago, the two cities I spend the most time in) and I'll have direct deposit permanently in a few months.

Chase Sapphire Preferred - 5.6k (3/13) | Amex Premier Rewards Gold - NPSL (1/13) | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Visa Signature - 9k (1/13) | Amex Delta Gold - 6k (9/12) | Citi Forward Visa - 10k (10/12) | Discover It - 2k (2/12) | Chase +1 Visa - $300 (2/11)
Message 26 of 32
jake619
Frequent Contributor

Hmm.  No mention if Fidelity.  SP on account creation.  Brokerage account included (you can ignore if it you don't need it).  Free.  Not the best interest rates though.

Message 27 of 32
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

@flowfaster wrote:

Alliant Credit Union is simply the best deposit account

Next day ACH push and pull!

Mobile Deposit!

No Fees.

Great rates.

Decent credit products.

EDIT: hard pull for membership.

Not sure about that.  Checking rates are pretty good (need monthly deposit), savings rate isn't good, and it looks like they don't refund owner ATM fees.

80K ATMs where you don't have to pay a fee...I'm sure you can find one wherever you are.  

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 28 of 32
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@visorboy1974 wrote:

@bs6054 wrote:

@flowfaster wrote:

Alliant Credit Union is simply the best deposit account

Next day ACH push and pull!

Mobile Deposit!

No Fees.

Great rates.

Decent credit products.

EDIT: hard pull for membership.

Not sure about that.  Checking rates are pretty good (need monthly deposit), savings rate isn't good, and it looks like they don't refund owner ATM fees.

80K ATMs where you don't have to pay a fee...I'm sure you can find one wherever you are.  

Yes, but the difference is that I don't need to look at all, just go to whichever one I see.  But yes, for checking the rate seems good, on par with Ally's rate for above 15K and Everbank's non-promotional rate.

Edit: note I was responding to "Alliant Credit Union is simply the best deposit account"  which I dispute!  I wouldn't have had an issue with "is a very good account"

Message 29 of 32
ceemee2203
Regular Contributor

I use Schwab for my checking and brokerage and love it. No fees, you can use any atm you like, call them at 3 in the morning and they'll be able to answer your questions. 

They pulled my Chex but they do a separate hardpull of Ex (I think) when you try to set up mobile check deposits (at least I think that's why they pulled it, kind of annoying). But the app is great, you can even pay bills with it. 

Current Cards: AMEX Everyday ($15k), AMEX BCE ($20k), Amex Platinum, Arrival ($11.5k), Merrill+ ($7.5k), Freedom ($5k), Double Cash ($6.5k)

2/16 - 864 Fico EQ (CITI); 818 Fico Ex (AMEX)
Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.