cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

thinking about switching to an online bank.

tag
idonthaveaname
New Contributor

thinking about switching to an online bank.

I'd prefer not to mail in a check . any ideas?Is there any that offers remote deposits or smart phone deposits

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Re: thinking about switching to an online bank.

@idonthaveaname wrote:

I'd prefer not to mail in a check . any ideas?Is there any that offers remote deposits or smart phone deposits

Many/most of them do.   I use Everbank (checking/money market), TIAA (savings), Barclays (savings) and they all offer remote deposit on Android and iPhone.

I also have Cap One Internet (which I don't think does) and Bank of America e-banking (which does but isn't an online bank!)

My daughter has Ally which also offers smartphone deposit (now!)

Message 2 of 32
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

I use USAA for my everyday checking. I just open my iphone app, take a pic of a check, front and back, and it is deposited and available right then.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 3 of 32
idonthaveaname
New Contributor

Hey I heard USAA only allows the smartphone option if you are in the military?

Message 4 of 32
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

@idonthaveaname wrote:

Hey I heard USAA only allows the smartphone option if you are in the military?

This is false I'm afraid. I know this because I am not, nor have I ever been in the military. This does bring up a good point though. In order to be able to use their mobile deposit system, you must have a credit product with them. There is a second way, but it escapes me right now, unfortunately.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 5 of 32
idonthaveaname
New Contributor

Thats what I meant regarding the mobile deposit. I'd like to be able to have that option but i didn't think you can actually have a credit product unless you are in the military

Message 6 of 32
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

Once again I have to say ~P. I have a credit product through them as well. You will have to be a full member, which is easy to do if anyone in your family has ever been in the military or banked with them.

My Wallet:
Message 7 of 32
idonthaveaname
New Contributor

noSmiley Sad

Message 8 of 32
awdsmama
Established Contributor

I've heard about various online banks but haven't looked into them much.

What's the draw/benefit of them? 

Fico: 701 (5/22/14) 682 (5/9/2014)
Discover IT $5,200 / CU Visa $1,000 / JC Penny$3,000
App Free since 2/2013
Message 9 of 32
PetRaccoon
New Contributor

For checking I really don't see much of an advantage if any at all.  If you're using direct deposit then I'd say theres not much difference unless you have to deposit other types of money

I guess it also depends on where you live.  Here in NY, its easy to find a Chase almost everywhere which is convenient for me, although the minimum balance requirement kind of stinks.  Which can be another advantage of online banking.

However for savings, online banks like Ally or AMEX give much better rates than your traditional bank usually.

TU08:: 754 (4/14) EQ: 745 (6/14) 753 (1/13) Ex: 766 (12/11)
Goal: 800! Then Keep it there and keep growing!~
Card(s): HSBC Premier WMC: 5,000 (7/09), Chase Freedom 6,000 (11/11) BCE 3,200 (12/11) Chase Saph: 5,000 (5/12)
Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.