cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

thinking about switching to an online bank.

tag
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Re: thinking about switching to an online bank.

@PetRaccoon wrote:

For checking I really don't see much of an advantage if any at all.  If you're using direct deposit then I'd say theres not much difference unless you have to deposit other types of money

I guess it also depends on where you live.  Here in NY, its easy to find a Chase almost everywhere which is convenient for me, although the minimum balance requirement kind of stinks.  Which can be another advantage of online banking.

However for savings, online banks like Ally or AMEX give much better rates than your traditional bank usually.

Well, even for checking the advantages can be great.  At Everbank, I am getting 1.25% interest, which is a 6 month introductory, after it drops to about 0.75%, compared to BoA offering 0.01%!   So that is really money.  I went from getting $5 interest per year in BoA to about $800.

Other advantages, you can use any ATM, and get all fees refunded.  This may matter a little less in your bank's ATMs are all over the place, but it's just another really useful feature.   And ACH transfers are free, many big B&M impose fees on transactions initiated from them.

In fact, I don't see any reason to stick with B&M banks for most people.  I don't really think that "building" a relationship counts for all that much with large corps, and anyway, I prefer to shop around, getting CCs from some issuers, banking at other places, getting a mortgage from internet brokers.  

At some stage in your credit life, and with the right bank, a relationship might help, but I remain to be convinced!

Message 11 of 32
PetRaccoon
New Contributor

That sounds pretty nice, to be honest I only keep my Chase account because its easy to pay my Chase CCs with it.

Guess I need to look at it some myself.

Edit:

Ahh...

Monthly fee in any month when average daily balance is below $5,000$8.95

Well bugger, thats a turn off for me..

TU08:: 754 (4/14) EQ: 745 (6/14) 753 (1/13) Ex: 766 (12/11)
Goal: 800! Then Keep it there and keep growing!~
Card(s): HSBC Premier WMC: 5,000 (7/09), Chase Freedom 6,000 (11/11) BCE 3,200 (12/11) Chase Saph: 5,000 (5/12)
Message 12 of 32
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@PetRaccoon wrote:

That sounds pretty nice, to be honest I only keep my Chase account because its easy to pay my Chase CCs with it.

Edit:

Ahh...

That's Everbank.   Ally has no fee, Everbank is good for balances above $5K (which isn't such a high limit compared to many B&M banks!)

Message 13 of 32
PetRaccoon
New Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

@PetRaccoon wrote:

Edit:

Ahh...

That's Everbank.   Ally has no fee, Everbank is good for balances above $5K (which isn't such a high limit compared to many B&M banks!)

I know, just you quoted that one specifically and that sounded really nice..  Chase at the moment is $1.5K, which I can live with, although I have my HSBC which is sitting at 0 thanks to a joint with my mom.  BUT I hate HSBC's online banking, and paying the Premier card has such a huge delay when doing transfers..

TU08:: 754 (4/14) EQ: 745 (6/14) 753 (1/13) Ex: 766 (12/11)
Goal: 800! Then Keep it there and keep growing!~
Card(s): HSBC Premier WMC: 5,000 (7/09), Chase Freedom 6,000 (11/11) BCE 3,200 (12/11) Chase Saph: 5,000 (5/12)
Message 14 of 32
flowfaster
Established Contributor

ARe: thinking about switching to an online bank.

Alliant Credit Union is simply the best deposit account

Next day ACH push and pull!

Mobile Deposit!

No Fees.

Great rates.

Decent credit products.

EDIT: hard pull for membership.

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 15 of 32
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

@idonthaveaname wrote:

I'd prefer not to mail in a check . any ideas?Is there any that offers remote deposits or smart phone deposits

ING direct is a good option for checking and savings.  So is Ally bank.

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 16 of 32
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Re: ARe: thinking about switching to an online bank.

@flowfaster wrote:

Alliant Credit Union is simply the best deposit account

Next day ACH push and pull!

Mobile Deposit!

No Fees.

Great rates.

Decent credit products.

EDIT: hard pull for membership.

Not sure about that.  Checking rates are pretty good (need monthly deposit), savings rate isn't good, and it looks like they don't refund owner ATM fees.

Message 17 of 32
Smug
Established Contributor

Ally, BOFA,amex,discover, I have a few
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 18 of 32
dobirdsmommy
Established Contributor

I have Chase in NY and I do not have to keep a min amount..  We deposit my husbands check via the Ipad and I have my check DD every other week. I do not pay any fees at all

building since 2011 Wallet:ME: Walmart 3k;Barclays Rewards 10k, Venture 18k; Slate 5k; Freedom 10k; overstock 4.8k, SGV2.5k; WEMC 20k 1.5 Rewards, Gamestop 1.2k, Fingerhut 3k; 2 NMAC Leases , VS 1.75k, BH 1.62k, Express 1.6k, Avenue 1.75k, JCrew 5k, HSN 1.47k, Torrid 1.55k, Roamans 1.4k, Jessica London 1.54k, kings direct 1.7k, Buckle 1.4k, WW 1.65k, ........ baddies:Fed Tax Lien
DH: 1750 capital one fh 2000, AU - VS, BH, HSN, WEMC, SPGV. Freedom, Slate, Venture, Barclays
Message 19 of 32
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@dobirdsmommy wrote:

I have Chase in NY and I do not have to keep a min amount..  We deposit my husbands check via the Ipad and I have my check DD every other week. I do not pay any fees at all

And what rate do you get?  The object is to get a good rate with no fee, and most banks listed do that (Everbank is the exception.  They are not a standard internet bank, as they have core businedealing with niche areas such as metal speculation and foreign currency deposit accounts, but if you meet the 5K, very good rates

Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.