Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Frequent Contributor

thinking of closing my citi card

I applied for a citi diamond preferred mc about 3 weeks ago because I wanted a mc but didnt think it through. I got a 3k cl which im not too thrilled about and I doubt I will ever use this card. I am probably going to PC my freedom to a world mc when it hits a year. Should I close the citi card?

Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: thinking of closing my citi card

darkfrosty wrote:

I applied for a citi diamond preferred mc about 3 weeks ago because I wanted a mc but didnt think it through. I got a 3k cl which im not too thrilled about and I doubt I will ever use this card. I am probably going to PC my freedom to a world mc when it hits a year. Should I close the citi card?

IMO I don't believe in closing card unless they have an annual fee you've already taken the hit to AAoA and the HP. My advice keep it open and charge somthing small to it every 4 months or put a recurring bill on it monthly and pay it off.

+ Chase ink =

Frequent Contributor

I agree with "myjourney"

Keep the card opened, it will grown with time.

Frequent Contributor

I would not close it.  use it for a tank of gas every now and then  and let it grow.  YOu've taken the HP and the 3k will help with utilization. Isn't costing you anything to have it in the drawer... just when you use it.

Back in the garden!
App free since 23Oct2012 reset to 27Aug13 and reset again 4nov13
Valued Contributor

I am past the one year mark, and no CLI on that card. I have it sitting open myself. I am thinking about doing a PC on it.

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 821 EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (17.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (10.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Frequent Contributor

yea I guess I wont cancel it just permantly sd it.

maybe after a year try and pc it to something better like a premier world elite lol

Community Leader
Senior Contributor

darkfrosty wrote:

yea I guess I wont cancel it just permantly sd it.

maybe after a year try and pc it to something better like a premier world elite lol

Try in 6 months but good idea to not close.....solid move IMO

+ Chase ink =

Regular Contributor

darkfrosty wrote:

Should I close the citi card?

I guess I'll be the only one that says otherwise...CLOSE IT.  You already have some decent cards (Chase Freedom and Sapphire Preferred) with much more decent limits and much better benefits in my opinion.  True, you did waste a hard pull applying for it but I can see how this might have been an impulse application seeing as you wanted to add a MasterCard to your wallet.  However, hard pulls, don't hurt your credit that much.  But, like you said, you can always change your Chase Freedom to a MasterCard later.

The only reason that I would keep the card open is if it has a substantially LOWER APR than any of your other cards.  I would specifically use that Citi card for carrying balances.  Other than that reason...I say shut it down, you already have enough cards.  I have actually thought about closing my Citi card but the only reason I will not is because it is one of my oldest accounts.

AMEX Premier Rewards Gold - NPSL | AMEX Everyday - $20,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $30,000 | Chase Freedom Visa Signature - $22,000
Citi AT&T Universal MC - $16,200 | Best Buy (Citi) Card - $15,000
USAA Platinum MC - $21,000 | Amazon Store Card - $3,800
Mega Contributor

myjourney wrote:

darkfrosty wrote:

IMO I don't believe in closing card unless they have an annual fee you've already taken the hit to AAoA and the HP. My advice keep it open and charge somthing small to it every 4 months or put a recurring bill on it monthly and pay it off.

I agree I would not close it. Keep it for a year then take a HP for a decent CLI.

Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

darkfrosty wrote:

Keep it open.  No AF, so it doesn't cost you anything, you've already taken the hit for the INQ.  Might as well keep it, SD it, use it as a door stop, whatever.  Ya never know when you might need to do a BT, it's a wonderful card for those occasions.  AND CITI can be very generous with CLI. 

EDIT: You can also get it with an EMV chip, if this is something that you might use in the future.  Again, doesn't cost anything to get one, good to have if needed. 

Diners Club Premier MasterCard $50K / AMEX Gold NPSL / AMEX Zync NPSL / AMEX Blue Cash Preferred $14K / Bank of America Cash Rewards Signature Visa $15K / Merrill Lynch Plus Signature Visa $15K / Wells Fargo Propel 365 $15K / Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa $10K / J P Morgan Select Signature Visa $10.5K / CITI Diamond Preferred MasterCard $13.2K / Discover IT $10.5K / IberiaBank Select Visa $8K / 1st Command Bank Platinum Visa $7.5K // Home Depot $9.7K / Lowes $10K

EX = 818 EQ = 823 TU = 822 as of 07/15
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.