Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

threatening lien for unsecured CC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

threatening lien for unsecured CC

I'm negotiating with several companies to settle unsecured CC debt.  Most are willing to consider something in the range of 30-65 cents on the dollar, but Advanta seems intent on threatening to escalate with lawsuit, in an attempt to place lien against property for unsecured debt.  I don't doubt they are within their rights to try, but what is the experience of others as to whether this is more bark or a likely bite if I call their bluff?  They are offering 75% settlement now, which is not bad but not enough for my limited funds compared to other debts I am negotiating.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Re: threatening lien for unsecured CC

Just to clarify, is this business debt or personal?  If business, is it PG'd?
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, Platinum Business card, personally guaranteed.  Thanks for response.

Message 3 of 11
2wheel
Frequent Contributor

Are you filing bankruptcy? ch 13 ch 7
2wheel
Message 4 of 11
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

I think this could be better addressed over in the business credit section.  One of the mods should be here shortly to possibly move this for you.

I'm sure there's quite a few folks here with Advanta account experience, but I am not one of them.  Sorry.

By the way, welcome to the forum.  And, here's a link to the business credit section, too.

Message Edited by Uborrow-Upay on 08-11-2009 08:17 PM
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

not expecting bankruptcy at this point, no.  As for the forum sections, it is a personal debt on my SSN, so I'm not sure about the business debt section, but whatever the mods think is fine.
Message 6 of 11
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

I'm only suggesting that because business credit is handled a bit differently when it comes to collections.  Consumers have more protections than business debtors, and I think some of the folks in the other section could assist more.

But then again, a lot of us are all over the place on these boards, so pick 'em, choose 'em...or post in both.

That'll cover the bases!

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK.  I understand.  Many thanks for your suggestions.
Message 8 of 11
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

You better take out and read the cardholder agreement and see exactly what kind of guarantee you agreed to and what their remedies are in default. You make have a serious problem. Also, do not forget that the amount of debt you negotiate away may be consider taxable income to you and you may receive a 1099 for it. This is a complicated issue. Best to make sure you understand the full implications before you trade a debt problem for an IRS problem.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your ideas.  I actually have no problem with settlements or 1099s-- I have huge loss carryovers.  I also don't dispute their legal ability, re:cardholder agreement-- and my FICO is completely shot already at 460-- what I was wondering was how likely they are to proceed with litigation, and how fast that process works, as opposed to using just the threat of litigation as a negotiating tool.  I'm liquidating assets as fast as I can to settle these unsecured debts-- I guess they are betting I won't be bankrupt before they get a lien on my last piece of property.  Seems more risky for them than coming down another 10-20% on the settlement, but that's just my perspective I guess...

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.