Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

to get a new card or not...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

to get a new card or not...

So I have several store cards, ie: Dillards, Gap, Victora Secret, etc and one Visa Issued by Creditone Bank.  This one has a yearly fee and high interest rate, my credit was not so good then so I was okay paying the fee to help get it up there, its not great now.. 650 according to CreditKarma.  I would like a card with less fees.  Is there one that I could benefit from getting and would it be bad to close my current card?

** I have little to no inquires on my credit**

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
keithB
Established Contributor

Re: to get a new card or not...

Go for it.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

That would bring me to new predicament.. which one would I apply for that wouldn't give me a big fat NO?  I have been getting offers from Citibank ( i think with AA)  I'd like something with perks, if possible

Message 3 of 12
s73guy
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That would bring me to new predicament.. which one would I apply for that wouldn't give me a big fat NO?  I have been getting offers from Citibank ( i think with AA)  I'd like something with perks, if possible

Several companies have pre-qualify sites.  Citibank has one on their website.  The link says something like "Check for prequalified offers".  If it says "Recommended" that doesn't mean you are prequalified.  It should tell you here are the offers we found for you.  That would at least give you an idea if you have a better chance of getting approved.  Other issuers have prequalify sites as well....Capital One, Chase, Discover, Bank of America.

Capital One Venture: $30,000; Capital One Quicksilver: $10,000; PNC CashBuilder: $15,000; Chase Marriott Rewards: $10,000; Citi Double Cash: $9,400; Barclay Arrival World MasterCard: $11,150; USF FCU Rewards Visa Signature: $10,500; Suncoast CU Visa: $3,000; Discover It: $3,500; Nordstrom: $2,000; Kohl's: $2,500; Target: $600; Lowes: $6,900; Sams Club: $3,850; Evine: $3,000; HSN: $1,800; Paypal Credit: $4,350; Amazon Store: $5,400 --- EX: 726; EQ: 726; TU: 741

Message 4 of 12
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

@s73guy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Several companies have pre-qualify sites.  Citibank has one on their website.  The link says something like "Check for prequalified offers".  If it says "Recommended" that doesn't mean you are prequalified.  It should tell you here are the offers we found for you.  That would at least give you an idea if you have a better chance of getting approved.  Other issuers have prequalify sites as well....Capital One, Chase, Discover, Bank of America.

How accurate are these prequal sites?  Is it based on SPs? 

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 5 of 12
keithB
Established Contributor

Chase pre-qual is said to be real good, Cap1 as well.... Barclays is said to be iffy... AMEX was a good prequal for me and so was Citi.

It's said if you get a Pre-Qual from Chase, it's in the bank as long as you don't have any recent big changes or inquiries.

...and yes, APs

@Fico2Go wrote:

@s73guy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

How accurate are these prequal sites?  Is it based on SPs? 

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

it says "see cards you might like"

is that a bad sign?  this is on Citbank

Message 7 of 12
keithB
Established Contributor

That's generic - not a pre-approval... Go to the next!

@Anonymous wrote:

it says "see cards you might like"

is that a bad sign?  this is on Citbank

Message 8 of 12
sdgd

Try Barclays prequal and dump credit1 no reason to pay the monthly fee
Message 9 of 12
keithB
Established Contributor

What's your oldest account and "average age of accounts"?

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.