cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

to pay or not to pay? (CSP AF that is)

tag
samset93

to pay or not to pay? (CSP AF that is)

For all the credit card gurus out here: I was just recently got approved for the CSP (5k limit) and ever since I got it in the mail last week I have been wondering 12 months ahead to when the AF would hit.

I'm 20. I go to school full time and work part time. I'm making an alright amount of money (considering the type of work that I do, hrs worked/week, my expenses (no rent, insurance, or loans I need to pay) and how old I am; almost 20k last year, could be 35k if working full time)

So here are my options:

1. Suck up and pay the $95 AF. I could easily fit in the AF in my yearly expenses. (After all the point transfers, US call center, and the metal card Smiley Happy are worth something)
  2. Downgrade to regular sapphire. I'm not exactly the traveler type (still 2 more yrs of undergrad) and don't spend enough money to justify the AF. My other current CCs are good enough to cover my spending habits.
  3. Close the CSP and consolidate the CL to my Freedom card. and hopefully make it a Visa siggy (as this is my everyday card).
  4. Apply for the regular Sapphire before the 12 mo period and consolidate the CL from CSP before closing it (so I can still get the $100 sign-up bonus), taking an AAoA and inquiry hit as well as chance of denial from Chase.

I do plan on traveling to SE Asia to visit old friends and family after I graduate and get a steady full time job (hopefully, if my then work situation allows; although that might not be until 2-5 yrs down the road) So any thoughts or maybe a 5th option? Smiley Happy

grateful for the knowledge as always, 

Sam

Cap One Journey .5k auto CLI to .75k | Chase Freedom 1k | BestBuy Store Card 1.2k | MSU Federal Credit Union Visa 4k | Discover IT-Student 1k auto CLI to 1.3k | Amex BCE 2k CLI to 6k | CSP 5k
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
somnipotent
Frequent Contributor

Re: to pay or not to pay? (CSP AF that is)

What's the APR on the CSP vs the Freedom?  Mine's currently 15.24% for the CSP and 19.99% (0% promo right now) on the Freedom.  Doesn't matter if you PIF all the time but in the event you need to carry a balance it could be very important.  The choice is ultimately up to you.  My wife and I eat out at resturants a lot so the 2% works for me.  Also, the CSP was my "I've arrived" card.  While I did have an AMEX PRG prior, I felt that being approved for such a coveted  card (at least on myFico) my credit recovery was good enough to go for the ultimate goal of a mortgage.  And finally, I prefer the metal card over the plastic Smiley Happy

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx Costco ($8.2K) | AmEx Delta Gold ($19.3K) | AmEx BCE ($5K) | Chase United Explorer ($10K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K) | Chase Freedom ($8.2K) | Discover it ($3K) | Capital One Quicksilver ($2.5K) | PayPal Extras ($2.5K) | Lowes ($3.3K) | Walmart ($4.3K) | Amazon ($2.5K) | Restoration Hardware ($8.8K) | Crate & Barrel ($8.3K)
--
Homeowner since 05/29/13
Message 2 of 14
samset93

I always PIF so the APRs are a less of a factor for me. If i ever need to carry a balance I'd probably apply for a 0% apr intro card or put it in my 12.9% CU Visa.

Thanks for the input though, I do like (that's an understatement, lol) LOVE the metal feel of the card, but it might not be enough to justify the AF Smiley Sad

Cap One Journey .5k auto CLI to .75k | Chase Freedom 1k | BestBuy Store Card 1.2k | MSU Federal Credit Union Visa 4k | Discover IT-Student 1k auto CLI to 1.3k | Amex BCE 2k CLI to 6k | CSP 5k
Message 3 of 14
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

If you don't plan on using the money, it's a waste to keep it after the first year. You would have to spend 9500 on it just to make back the annual fee or 4570 in the 2% categories. You would have to spend at least double that to make it worthwhile, otherwise you aren't gaining anything by keeping it. I would say option two or three. I don't see $100 as enough to get a hard inquiry and new account on a credit report.

Message 4 of 14
bribro
Valued Contributor

Option #2, or option #3 if you're not inquiry/AAoA sensitive. I think inquiries/AAoA hits would be better spent on more lucrative sign-up bonuses, so would lean toward option #2.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 5 of 14
samset93

@bribro wrote:

Option #2, or option #3 if you're not inquiry/AAoA sensitive. I think inquiries/AAoA hits would be better spent on more lucrative sign-up bonuses, so would lean toward option #2.

Thanks for the inputs! appreciate it.
Is consolidating CL warranties a  HP? I'm leaning towards combining the 5k to my freedom but a bit concerned about switching it to a siggy (from the regular/platinum visa now). Do they always upgrade to Visa siggy if your limit is over 5k? or is it a YMMV kind of thing?

*PS: I think I messed up trying to quote the previous reply. Still learning Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 14
somnipotent
Frequent Contributor

mind you, you do get a 40k UR credit to your account after the first 3k you spend.  You can apply that credit to your balance and that right there is 4 years worth of AF covered.  Worth up to $500 in travel rewards when redeemed on the UR portal.

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx Costco ($8.2K) | AmEx Delta Gold ($19.3K) | AmEx BCE ($5K) | Chase United Explorer ($10K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K) | Chase Freedom ($8.2K) | Discover it ($3K) | Capital One Quicksilver ($2.5K) | PayPal Extras ($2.5K) | Lowes ($3.3K) | Walmart ($4.3K) | Amazon ($2.5K) | Restoration Hardware ($8.8K) | Crate & Barrel ($8.3K)
--
Homeowner since 05/29/13
Message 7 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@somnipotent wrote:

mind you, you do get a 40k UR credit to your account after the first 3k you spend.  You can apply that credit to your balance and that right there is 4 years worth of AF covered.  Worth up to $500 in travel rewards when redeemed on the UR portal.

Right, but the OP has already got that credit.  So the question is, next steps 12 months from now!

Message 8 of 14
samset93

@longtimelurker wrote:

@somnipotent wrote:

Right, but the OP has already got that credit.  So the question is, next steps 12 months from now!

That's true, I can use the 40k UR bonus for paying the AF. But I'd rather have the cash/transfer it to a airline/hotel loyalty program. 

Message 9 of 14
somnipotent
Frequent Contributor

@samset93 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@somnipotent wrote:

That's true, I can use the 40k UR bonus for paying the AF. But I'd rather have the cash/transfer it to a airline/hotel loyalty program. 

You did say you were still in undergrad and a travel would be limited anyway until after the fact.  Again, it's still your call.   I'm in a situation where every card has a purpose and I can justify the AF because the rewards I get nullify it.

--
Homeowner since 05/29/13
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.