cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

too late to co-sign account with parent?

tag
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Re: too late to co-sign account with parent?

OP,

Since you only have credit cards on your credit report, you may benefit from adding a different type of trade line...like some sort of installment loan. Mix of credit is also a factor in your credit score ( I don't know much impact though).

Maybe you can get added as AU on a couple of your mom's oldest credit cards and then apply for something like a signature loan from your credit union or bank (do not use a finance company)....deposit that $$$ and use it to pay the monthly bill.

Adding the cards will offset any AAoA decrease from the new installment loan.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 11 of 13
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Here's an explanation of rebucketing:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Understanding-quot-rebucketing-quot/td-p/...

To answer your other question, you will have a warning that you are going to be rebucketed. It's to like if you miss a pyt and 30 days later the derog is going to hit your report. FICO scoring is complex and obviously not published - don't forget each CRA has its own scoring algorithm.
Message 12 of 13
gen-specific
Frequent Contributor

@frugalQ wrote:
OP,

Since you only have credit cards on your credit report, you may benefit from adding a different type of trade line...like some sort of installment loan. Mix of credit is also a factor in your credit score ( I don't know much impact though).

Maybe you can get added as AU on a couple of your mom's oldest credit cards and then apply for something like a signature loan from your credit union or bank (do not use a finance company)....deposit that $$$ and use it to pay the monthly bill.

Adding the cards will offset any AAoA decrease from the new installment loan.

I'm not going to do that at this point, I would have done something roundabout like that a few years ago

thanks for the suggestion! its clever

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.