Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

top 5 visa cards and mastercards to have

tag
USF813
Frequent Contributor

Re: top 5 visa cards and mastercards to have

If eligible to join, I'd say any NFCU rewards card. The starting limits make these cards very appealing, as well as the relative ease at getting them.
Message 41 of 52
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

I wanna play too... I will just list the ones I have, am aiming for,  or could obtain in the future.  I am/will be a cash back chaser so I try to cover everything

Not listing in order of "best" because it's too vague a statement for me.  I think this looks like a decent lineup for my needs as it covers almost everything.  Some are a little redundant, but it's the lineup I like for me.   

1 - Chase Freedom                                                           5% restaurants, home improvement, movies, retail, etc.  even though rotating.

2 - Fort Knox Federal Credit Union Platinum Visa       5% cash back on gas all year around (don't have to chase rotating gas category)

3 - Huntington Voice MC                                                   3x points for utilities

4 - US Cash+                                                                      5% groceries, restaurants, etc. 

5 - Sallie Mae                                                                      5% groceries (help with the US Cash+ cap), 5% books (DD starting college soon)          

The one below may interest others.  I refuse to bank with LMCU so it's not in my list......

*Lake Michigan Credit Union Prime Platinum Visa       (low 6.25% APR not introductory) for those that may have to carry a balance outside of 0% inital rates.                                              

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 42 of 52
fot1
Established Contributor

@VirtualCuriosity wrote:

I wanna play too... I will just list the ones I have, am aiming for,  or could obtain in the future.  I am/will be a cash back chaser so I try to cover everything

Not listing in order of "best" because it's too vague a statement for me.  I think this looks like a decent lineup for my needs as it covers almost everything.   

1 - Chase Freedom                                                           5% restaurants, home improvement, movies, retail, etc.  even though rotating.

2 - Fort Knox Federal Credit Union Platinum Visa       5% cash back on gas all year around (don't have to chase rotating gas category)

3 - Huntington Voice MC                                                   3x points for utilities

4 - US Cash+                                                                      5% groceries 

5 - Sallie Mae                                                                      5% groceries (help with the US Cash+ cap), 5% books (DD starting college soon)          

The one below may interest others.  I refuse to bank with LMCU so it's not in my list......

*Lake Michigan Credit Union Prime Platinum Visa       (low 6.25% APR not introductory) for those that may have to carry a balance outside of 0% inital rates.                                              

I would love to get the Huntington Voice card if it was possible..But I don't live near a branch Smiley Sad

Too many to list..
Message 43 of 52
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@B335is wrote:

1)  Sallie Mae

2)  Sallie Mae #2

3)  US Bank Cash +

4)  US Bank Cash + #2

5)  Penfed Cash Rewards

Close. but #5 (since we can only consider VISA and MasterCards) is the NASA FCU Cash Rewards card.

nasa.png

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 44 of 52
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@B335is wrote:

1)  Sallie Mae

2)  Sallie Mae #2

3)  US Bank Cash +

4)  US Bank Cash + #2

5)  Penfed Cash Rewards

Close. but #5 (since we can only consider VISA and MasterCards) is the NASA FCU Cash Rewards card.

nasa.png

Yeah but Nasa pulls EX and I value those lenders that pull others even if it means losing out on a few cents here or there Smiley Happy

Message 45 of 52
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@VirtualCuriosity wrote:

Not listing in order of "best" because it's too vague a statement for me.  I think this looks like a decent lineup for my needs as it covers almost everything.   

4 - US Cash+                                                                      5% groceries 

Just curious why you refuse to bank with LMCU?

Message 46 of 52
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

@B335is wrote:

@VirtualCuriosity wrote:

It is because of a really bad experience with a customer service rep prior to executing the final application.  The low APR didn't mean enough to me to join after reading the reviews and my own personal experience. 

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 47 of 52
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@VirtualCuriosity wrote:

@B335is wrote:

@VirtualCuriosity wrote:

It is because of a really bad experience with a customer service rep prior to executing the final application.  The low APR didn't mean enough to me to join after reading the reviews and my own personal experience. 

I agree their Customer Service is about average in my experience.  I joined to get that low APR but was denied.  They don't like new accounts and cited pyramids, just like Penfed.  They are conservative.

Message 48 of 52
BigBS
Senior Contributor

@B335is wrote:

@VirtualCuriosity wrote:

@B335is wrote:

@VirtualCuriosity wrote:

I agree their Customer Service is about average in my experience.  I joined to get that low APR but was denied.  They don't like new accounts and cited pyramids, just like Penfed.  They are conservative.

Yeah, my experience with the application process wasn't that good either.  Only worthwhile point was that it didn't cost me an HP since I was really going after the 3% interest rate on the checking account. It's in the sock drawer indefinitely.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 49 of 52
DieGo2SHAE
Regular Contributor

@nyancat: "How can you redeem for a student loan or mortgage if you don't have a student loan or a mortgage?"

___________________________________________________________________________________

Easiest thing in the world and it makes the card a 5% cash back card ^_^

You call in, ask for the student loan/mortgage rebate option (doesn't matter if you have one, I have neither), they'll ask you who your loan provider is (I just said 'Bank of America', you would just say whatever you want it to go towards), and they mail you a check made out to the bank. I literally just went to the nearest BofA and deposited the check right into my checking account through their outdoor ATM.

I've even seen some people that had the check made out to Citibank and mailed it in as a payment on the card itself without an issue =p

May 2013 | June 2013 |Sep 2013 | Dec 2013 |May 2014 | May 2014 | May 2014| April 2015 | April 2015 | April 2015 | April 2015
Message 50 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.