Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

travel reward cards

tag
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

Re: travel reward cards

@GTT wrote:

I know that I can transfer point from Chase freedom to CSP. Can I do the same for Amex? I have Amex BCE but not sure they allow point trasnfer between cards

No. The BCE is a strictly cashback card. They do not earn SPG points as does the SPG card.

Message 11 of 30
GTT
Regular Contributor

So if I have access to both AA and Delta, then it seems CSP is better as it gets more miles considering the discount on point redemption and annual dividend and additional 10% on checking account?

Message 12 of 30
GTT
Regular Contributor

Does SPG work only for purchase SPG products?

Message 13 of 30
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

@GTT wrote:

So if I have access to both AA and Delta, then it seems CSP is better as it gets more miles considering the discount on point redemption and annual dividend and additional 10% on checking account?

The CSP does not transfer 1:1 to either of those, so I think I'm lost as to your question.

I believe that we were referring to the Citi AAdvantage Card in regards to AA on the first page.

The CSP and Freedom can be a very valuable combo; however, unfortunately not for AA and Delta.

Message 14 of 30
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

@GTT wrote:

Does SPG work only for purchase SPG products?

No, SPG is not a product as it is a hotel brand (such as Hyatt/Marriott).

You can use it anywhere AMEX is accepted and it gives you starpoints (like Chase UR points), which then can be transferred to the various carriers on that link I posted earlier.

You can also use it for stays at SPG hotels.

Message 15 of 30
GTT
Regular Contributor

My bad, I meant using CSP for United and SPG for Delta.

But I think you don't earn SPG points unless you purchase SPG products, not like CSP, you earn 2points for any travel which is more flexible.

Message 16 of 30
GTT
Regular Contributor

SPG gives even 5 points for stays in other hotels, e.g. Marriott, or any flights with any carrier?

Message 17 of 30
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

@GTT wrote:

My bad, I meant using CSP for United and SPG for Delta.

But I think you don't earn SPG points unless you purchase SPG products, not like CSP, you earn 2points for any travel which is more flexible.

Oh okay, I see what you mean. No, SPG does not give additional points for "travel" as does the CSP.

You would be right in regards to CSP-United and SPG-Delta. I have both and use my CSP for SW/UA and SPG for AA.

It really comes down to your preference and what you will use them for. In general, SPG is great for AA/Delta, as well as international air carriers. CSP is limited in that aspect, but it makes up for it in other aspects.

UR points are really easy to come by (especially with having a Freedom too), but it doesn't matter much if you can't use them for what you need. That goes for any card. I can have 1 million Delta points, but if I don't have a place to fly with Delta, then they're useless.

Message 18 of 30
GTT
Regular Contributor

Do I get 4* points by using SPG on AA or Delta?

Message 19 of 30
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

@GTT wrote:

Do I get 4* points by using SPG on AA or Delta?

No, there are no additional points except for stays at SPG resorts/hotels.

Are you comfortable with a high annual fee after the first year?

The AMEX PRG has a hefty AF after the first year ($175), but you get 3x points on flights, 2x on groceries/gas, so the points add up fast as the CSP does. They transfer 1:1 with Delta and others.

Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.