cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trying to be a big kid without my parents help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

trying to be a big kid without my parents help!

hello, 

I am 23 years old & i'm trying to improve my credit score. The only thing bad on my credit is my school loans. Other than that, everyone is looking good. I paid my car off a year ago  & have had rent under my name for the past couple years. I have recently applied for multiple credit cards & keep getting declined. What can i do besides pay off my school loans to get approved for a credit card?!

I need your advice!

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: trying to be a big kid without my parents help!

Bad as in what? Late, collection, or simply a large balance on your student loan?

Go and apply a credit card from Capital One. Make sure you apply their average credit line up. A recommendation is Capital One Newcomer.

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

just being late.

how is this capitol one card different from one just from my bank? i've been declined multiple times & i'm afraid to even apply another time.

Message 3 of 17
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Welcome to the forum!

I have a few questions...

Have you pulled your credit reports from annualcreditreport.com?

Are you still a student?

What is your annual income?

Do you know what your scores are?

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

How late are the lates? Which CC's have you tried to apply for so far?

Also, do you know your scores?

Message 5 of 17
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

just being late.

how is this capitol one card different from one just from my bank? i've been declined multiple times & i'm afraid to even apply another time.

Like any newbie in credit world, one common mistake is to apply the card we want. Unfortunately, most card we want falls into excellent credit area. You need to show some good credit experience before having a chance to get approved with one.

Capital One average credit line up is more lenient than other lenders. I also advise you to look up local credit union and give them a visit. Talk to their loan officer to see if you can get a credit card from them.

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

i just applied for a credit card from my bank & they sent me information in the mail saying i was declined & my credit score is 596!! I am no longer a student at this time & my annual income in only $15,000.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

i applied for one from my credit union a year ago & also from Chase bank. I recently just applied again to Chase because I paid off my car loan & thought that would help.

Message 8 of 17
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

A secured card might be your best bet to start. Not quite sure how lenient cap one is with their average credit products but a 596 might be too low for them to approve you for something that is unsecured

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bank credit cards can be fussy because they sometimes look at your account balances as well. Have you tried a capital one card? 

Try to see is you are pre=qualified for any of their cards:
https://findmycard.capitalone.com/PageVersions/LandingPages/LP_UNS_MS_V02.aspx

Edit: For credit sake, I would say your maybe average depending on the lates that you have.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.