New Visitor
katherinescott

Re: trying to be a big kid without my parents help!

what is a secured card? 

Frequent Contributor
jd5189

katherinescott wrote:

what is a secured card? 

You would have to put a cash deposit = to the credit line

In my wallet: Amex PRG & Zync, Amex BCE (19.2k), Chase Freedom (5k), PSECU Visa/PSL (20k)
Current Scores: Equifax: 738 (Fako) TransUnion: 721 (Fico) Experian: 717 (Fico)
Disclaimer: I am by no means a financial advisor. My posts are based on opinion, experience, and/or knowledge.
Frequent Contributor
OptimasPrime

You provide a bank with collateral (a cash deposit) in exchange for a line of credit. Say youngive a bank $300, they would then hold that deposit and give you a credit card. If you use the card they give you responsibly, it will eventually convert to an unsecured card and the bank will give you your deposit back. 

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Frequent Contributor
OptimasPrime

[ Edited ]

By using the card properly/paying on time your scores will increase and you will be able to obtain better cards with higher limits. 

I realize this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it would be the fastest way for you to establish credit at this point. 

If you don't want to go the secured route, your could try to apply for a card with orchard bank or cap one, you would have a fair chance of approval for either imo. I'm not sure if orchard has any no annual fee cards but if they do you could look into one of those as well

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Established Contributor
jamie123

Where did you get that score from?

At 596 you are currently in a sub-prime high risk credit category.

With that score it is unlikely anyone will give you an unsecured credit card.

You need to work two avenues to repair your credit. Remove the baddies. Add good credit.

You need to research in how to write GOOD WILL (GW) letters and have those lates removed from your credit reports. There is some awesome information in the rebuilding forum in how to write those letters. It is really not that difficult to do and something that you NEED to do.

You also need to open 2 SECURED credit cards. I would suggest getting your first one at Capital One. You will have to submit a deposit that will be withdrawn directly from your checking account. The deposit then becomes your credit line. I would suggest starting with $300 and just leave it at $300. After you have this card for a few months open a SECURED credit card with Bank of America. Their minimum secured card starts at $500. The BoA card will graduate after you demonstrate 1 year of good credit behavior. They will unsecure the card and send you your deposit back. Good credit behavior = paying off your balances in FUULL several days BEFORE the due date. You cannot carry large balances each month!

You need to work both avenues at once.

Once you have the CC reporting your scores will start to climb.

Starting Score: EQ 658 6/18/12
Current Score: EQ 665 7/21/14 - EX 687 7/21/14 - TU 682 7/21/14
Goal Score: EQ 720+
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
jsucool76

I would also suggest a secured credit card. Cap1 helped me out by giving me my first card but I didn't have any negs at the time. The cap1 secured card is pretty good, you can continually deposit more money to increase your credit limit (up to $3000) and it doesn't report as secured if I remember correctly. The BoA secured is a really great one but some people have had trouble getting approved for it. You can add the 1-2-3 rewards to it, but from what I've read it is a HP any time you want to add more money to your deposit account to increase your limit. 

Good Luck!

Wallet: Capital One Cash Rewards 3500CL, Wells Fargo Cash Back College Visa: 900CL, Paypal Smart Connect: 1286CL, Walmart Discover: 2000CL, UPromise Mastercard: 1000CL, Chase Slate: 500CL, Discover IT: 2000CL, Citi Forward: 1500CL, Bank Of America Student Travel Rewards: 700CL
webhopper

I agree with other posters secured card would be a good place to start!

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+