Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trying to get a capital one credit card

tag
luvsandyshores
Regular Contributor

Re: trying to get a capital one credit card

True, mine bumped up around 20 points (?) when I got my first card.  The thing to remember is, don't USE the card for anything big until after you've got the mortgage - just small purchases, and pay in full before you even get your statement.  The mortgage co wants to see new credit, not new debt!

Good luck!

CH13 confirmed 1/2016
Message 11 of 14
DanielF
Contributor

I'd try Orchard bank and Credit One. They are both rebuilders. Stay away from First Premeir if you can avoid it as their fees are very high. With your scores you will probably have luck with the two I mentioned. Plus, they have a preapproval so you have a pretty good chance of where you stand with them before taking the HP.

Starting Score: 656(EQ myFICO) 668 (TU myFICO)
Current Score: 638 EQ 680 TU08 677 EX
Goal Score: 750
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Didnt get approved for the no hassle card but we did go for the secured one. thru capital one

Message 13 of 14
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Orchard is owed by HSBC and will soon (very soon) become Cap One, Credit One is Credit One Financial which is a wholly owned subsidiary of Sherman Financial Group, LLC, the same company that owns LVNV Collection Agency. LVNV seems to play by their own rules (see link below).

http://www.insidearm.com/daily/debt-buying-topics/debt-buying/state-suspends-arm-firms-license-compa...

Orchard perhaps, although I'd avoid them because of the high AF and low credit lines, but Credit One ? Never, ever, ever... 

If the OP is unable to get an unsecured CC from a fair lender, then I'd go with a secured CC from a major lender like his/her bank, CU or Cap One (depends on the terms).

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.