Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

turndown

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

turndown

:
Hello just writing to see if any one ha s ever been turned down for being on a card that has high balance. My wife applied for a card and was turned down due to one of my accts that she is Au on. I don't see how they can this against her.I mean she is not responsible for the bill anyway.I have paid the acct they were not happy with to a zero balance
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: turndown

Edit: The first version was much too rambly. I can say it shorter:

Being an AU on a card means it shows on your credit report and counts in your score. That may be an advantage or disadvantage, depending on what that card shows.

Message Edited by Ulan on 02-15-2009 10:49 AM
Message 2 of 7
oracles
Valued Contributor

Hi Chad

One thing to understand is, there is nothing on the report that shows you are an AU and not the primary cardholder. Therefore the lender is seeing this tradeline with a high balance and counting it towards you and your credit.

Again, the lender does not know this is an AU tradeline.

Keep the card with a zero to low balance, keep it active, and it will help both you.

Hope this helps 

Message 3 of 7
laz98
Senior Contributor

@oracles wrote:

Hi Chad

One thing to understand is, there is nothing on the report that shows you are an AU and not the primary cardholder. Therefore the lender is seeing this tradeline with a high balance and counting it towards you and your credit.

Again, the lender does not know this is an AU tradeline.

Keep the card with a zero to low balance, keep it active, and it will help both you.

Hope this helps 

This may vary by card.  All of my AU accounts are listed as such, with the exception of Mervyns, which for some unknown reason says Undesignated under the Responsibility status.  I know for sure my Bank of America lists me specifically as an AU.

Message 4 of 7
oracles
Valued Contributor

Laz

I never knew that, you have taught me something tonight, thank you

I know when I put my brother as an AU for my Citibank card and my BofA card, I did not see anything on his report to show he was an AU.

This is very interesting.

Is this something new that has happen?

ETA: He was also on my chase card and again, there was nothing to show he was an AU.

If that is true of showing a difference than lenders, when doing a manual review, will see that you are an AU and make it more difficult for you to obtain credit cause they know you are only an AU and you have no responsibility.

Message Edited by oracles on 02-16-2009 01:09 AM
Message 5 of 7
laz98
Senior Contributor

@oracles wrote:

Laz

I never knew that, you have taught me something tonight, thank you

I know when i put my brother as an AU for my citibank card and my BofA card, i did not see anything on his report to show he was an AU.

This is very interesting.

Is this something new that has happen?

you're welcome!  i'm happy to be educating someone else for a change!  Smiley Wink

i know for the BofA card, i have been an AU for over a year, so at least since the end of 2007, has this policy been in place for BofA.

perhaps Citibank is different?

Message 6 of 7
oracles
Valued Contributor

Well kudos to you again Laz.

I will check my brother's old report again but he too was an AU in 2007 to 2008 and we did not see any difference.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.