Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

turning 18 VERRY SOON need advice?

tag
Interestedincredit
Established Member

turning 18 VERRY SOON need advice?

So i removed myself off of 2 of my dads credit cards which had A HIGH BALANCE due to construction, the CC company updated my report to terminated on those accounts my credit scores are 677 Equifax, 688 TR, and 715 Experian FICO I pulled them from the fico website... currently i am stil authoirxesd users on many of my dads cards a few with high balances (e.g) 2800/3k that is one of his cards.... My question is when I turn 18 I am going to open a checking acct with NFCU then possibly apply for the cash rewards.  any suggestions? on what cards I should app for that you think I will get?  I would like to get a american express, btw my credit history is 2 years long.  I am employed and bring home approx 1200.00 a month.  

do you think I will get my OWN credit card the day after my birthday? I am a very responsible individual and will manage my credit responsibly.  I want to build a strong portfolio so that when I am older I am "on top" of my financial game.  I plan to go into real estate development and thus having good solid credit is a must to qualify for good loans/intrest rates?

all suggestions are greatly appreciated.  thanks !!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

Re: turning 18 VERRY SOON need advice?

Here is what I did when I turned 18:

I applied for the Capital One Journey on my birthday - approved for a $500 limit. I babied it for six months. Paid in full. Also picked up a secured card from BoA

Next, I applied for the Chase Freedom and Discover it after six months. Approved for those. More babying my cards.

Around the end of the year I shot for prime territory and got an Amex and the rest of the cards in my sig. 

So I guess my main message is get an entry level card or a secured one for 6 months to a year, and then you'll be ready to apply for what you want. Be mindful that your income is a little on the low side in a lender's eyes, so don't expect high limits.

I also had an auto loan, but don't worry about that unless you're planning on buying a car as well. 

Message 2 of 15
Stralem
Established Contributor

Well... You have an AU history going for you, but the income may be a sticking point as far as Amex goes.

If I were in your shoes (well... I actually was at one point in life...) I would get exactly ONE card and ONE card ONLY, then nuture the hell out of it until graduation. You say you're going to responsible (and I'm not doubting that), but you're underestimating just how easy it is to fall into credit card debt while in college. I'm not joking. It's stupid easy, and even the most responsible of people make mistakes.

OK, enough of the lecturing.

Chase Freedom, Discover IT, and Amex Bluie Cash Everyday are great starting cards. NFCU isn't bad either if you can qualify for it.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 3 of 15
Chris679
Established Contributor

Cap One, Discover, Chase, then Amex I would open one per year to take advantage of intro offers and to maximize your score for each app. Also this way you can work on CLI to build yourself up for later but be patient and careful. Until you get burned its so easy to start racking up debt. Having great credit and managing it well can open a lot of doors and it sounds like you are off to a good start.
Message 4 of 15
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Interestedincredit wrote:

So i removed myself off of 2 of my dads credit cards which had A HIGH BALANCE due to construction, the CC company updated my report to terminated on those accounts my credit scores are 677 Equifax, 688 TR, and 715 Experian FICO I pulled them from the fico website... currently i am stil authoirxesd users on many of my dads cards a few with high balances (e.g) 2800/3k that is one of his cards.... My question is when I turn 18 I am going to open a checking acct with NFCU then possibly apply for the cash rewards.  any suggestions? on what cards I should app for that you think I will get?  I would like to get a american express, btw my credit history is 2 years long.  I am employed and bring home approx 1200.00 a month.  

do you think I will get my OWN credit card the day after my birthday? I am a very responsible individual and will manage my credit responsibly.  I want to build a strong portfolio so that when I am older I am "on top" of my financial game.  I plan to go into real estate development and thus having good solid credit is a must to qualify for good loans/intrest rates?

You have the best plan already and should stick to it:

1. Apply for navy account.

2. Apply for Navy Credit Card.

3. Apply for Amex

then regroup with update

Message 5 of 15
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

I believe they're changing the rules on who can get CCs now. I think you have to be 21, get a cosigner or prove that you're making very steady income now to receive a CC in your position. 

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 6 of 15
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

@efranklin23 wrote:

I believe they're changing the rules on who can get CCs now. I think you have to be 21, get a cosigner or prove that you're making very steady income now to receive a CC in your position. 

That's pretty standard procedure for most of the credit unions I've browsed. 

Message 7 of 15
Interestedincredit
Established Member

Ok thanks you I'm going to let you guys know how I make out with my credit card apps. I'm thinking I might apply for a Barclays too sine they pull TR: an Amex since they pull experience and most likely a NFCU cash rewards
Message 8 of 15
Interestedincredit
Established Member

What Amex do you think I should go for and do you think I'll get it given my credit history?
Message 9 of 15
Interestedincredit
Established Member

And how much do cc' company's look at balances on authorized users card
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.