cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

two AmEx apps on same day = one credit pull?

tag
hateAshbury
Regular Contributor

two AmEx apps on same day = one credit pull?

so I'm going to apply for Blue Cash and Delta Gold cards pretty soon. Would the two apps constitute just one inquiry? I ask because I'm in no rush to get the Delta card, and would be happy to wait six to eight months for it.

Starting Score: 653 (11/1/2011 TransUnion)
Current Score: 719 (5/3/2012 TransUnion) 572 (3/21/2012 Equifax) 762 (4/14/12 VantageScore)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: two AmEx apps on same day = one credit pull?

@hateAshbury wrote:

so I'm going to apply for Blue Cash and Delta Gold cards pretty soon. Would the two apps constitute just one inquiry? I ask because I'm in no rush to get the Delta card, and would be happy to wait six to eight months for it.

YMMV.   If you apply back to back and if the apps don't require further review then your odds of it being a single inquiry are better.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 5
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Short answer is maybe. But you will for sure get two inquiries if you apply later. However, if you are denied on 2nd app, apping same day may generate two inquiries where apping later with existing account will get you soft instead of hard if you get denied. If ou do get two inquiries and both in experian, good chance you can call experian and get them removed as dupes.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

YMMV

I recently did this and it resulted in two hard pulls spaced apart. Amex will approve one app, then hold the other app for four days, then pull again to make a decision on the second app.
Message 4 of 5
USF
Established Member

Apply over the phone to make sure you get an approval or denial instantly, instead of those wait xx-xx days for a decision letters. I did that, they approved me for a Zync, and then I asked 2 separate representatives if another app would result in a hard inquiry. They said yes and to wait 24 hours before applying again. I app'd for the BCE a half hour later online and got the wait 7-10 day message. Checked my application status on their website for BCE and APPROVED. Checked EX report a few days later and only 1 pull Smiley Happy YMMV but those were my experiences from couple weeks ago.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.