Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

uPromise moving to Barclays

tag
Gray
Regular Contributor

uPromise moving to Barclays

SallieMae is moving its credit card portfolio to Barclays from Bank of America, having been at Citibank only a couple years prior. I hope it doesn't cause my interest rate to increase. It's been at 6.2% for several years now (credit line goes back to 1992).
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
2NE1
Established Contributor

Re: uPromise moving to Barclays

Im assuming getting this card from Barclay's will be much more easier then BoA now?

your CC APR is 6.2%? niiice!
Message 2 of 6
livingfree
New Contributor

Do you have to have the Upromise credit card or do the Barclays World mastercard count for the extra 5% back.  I am already receiving the other cash back but was wondering if I would need to apply for a new card or if I can use my Barclays card.  Thanks

5/13/13 EQ 636 (Myfico), TU 660 lender pull , EX 640 lender pull
Barclay Rewards MC $2300, Cap One $750, Walmart $800, Macys $2000, Lane Bryant $600.
Message 3 of 6
Gray
Regular Contributor

My uPromise card originated as a Citibank MasterCard back in the ealry 1990s. I asked Citi to convert it to a uPromise card in the early 2000s, which they did. When I found out that the cards were moving to BoA, I asked them to convert it to another Citi card, but they wouldn't. Apparently Sallie Mae owns me now. And now, when Sallie Mae moves these cards to Barclays, I wont't have a say in the matter...again. I feel like a piece of meat.
Message 4 of 6
logan_720
Established Contributor

@chaleria wrote:

Do you have to have the Upromise credit card or do the Barclays World mastercard count for the extra 5% back.  I am already receiving the other cash back but was wondering if I would need to apply for a new card or if I can use my Barclays card.  Thanks

A World Mastercard just means that it is an upgraded version of the regular "Mastercard" meaning that the CL is $5,000+. Unless Barclay's offers World Mastercard cardholders 5% CB for just being a World cardholder, I haven't read up on that.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had the Upromise card since 2006.  I started with Citi and moved over to BofA when that change occurred.  This is my day to day card - I pay it off in full every month but charge groceries, gas, utilities, etc. to the card to take advantage of the contribution to my daughter's 529 plan.  I am about to apply for a mortgage, but have been considering asking for a CLI on this card as the limit is low and as I said, I pay it off every month.  BofA reviewed my account several years ago when most of my cards were maxed out and ended up decreasing the limit a couple hundred dollars.  They advised me to pay down some other balances and call back to be considered for an increase.  I never did call, but have substantially lowered the carrying balances on all of my other cards none of which have very high limits. 

Unfortunately, now that I'm looking into applying for a mortgage, I've noticed that BofA seems to report my high balances on the card to the CBs rather than a balance as of a point in time.  I have been monitoring this for more than 9 months and cannot find a pattern of when they report (sometimes at or before month end, sometimes after - my statement closes around the 22nd of the month).  They end up reporting when the balance is highest and therefore my utilization is crazy high for this card, hence the reason I'm considering asking for a CLI.  I'm wondering if this card is hurting my credit score.  Is there any information as to when this switch to Barclay's will occur?  When these types of changes happen, does the new creditor review the account for potential CLIs or decreases?  Sounds like this will be really bad timing for me since I have no other relationships with Barclays and I'm not sure they'll receive my account history with BofA.   Smiley Frustrated

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.