Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

us bank reliability

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

us bank reliability

how reliable are their prequals? i got 3 prequal offers, but idk if they're like discover and BofA or if they're like chase...
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: us bank reliability

Most people will say they're hit or miss but I've been pretty fortunate with their pre quals. How are your CR?
Message 2 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

not too great that's why i ask lol.
Message 3 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

mid to upper 600 scores, 3 30 day lates and 1 60 day late in a year, 1% of utilzation reporting.

checked chase prequal and they said my prequal is the slate. i have freedom and chase amazon and i have 4 accounts open in the last 3 months, and 5 in the last 2 years. knowing that then why are they giving me a prequal lol
Message 4 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I get nothing from them, ever!  Not sure their site works so well.  Kind of like Discover & BofA.  I think you would just have to take a chance.

Message 5 of 27
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I get nothing from them, ever!  Not sure their site works so well.  Kind of like Discover & BofA.  I think you would just have to take a chance.

OP - the only way to know is if and when you apply.  If your credit profile is in the not-so-good category then save yourself a HP.  US Bank tends to be a bit on the conservative end, and if declined, it's doubtful you could make a case to overturn the decision.

Message 6 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

TOTALLY YMMV, but here was my experience. I hadn't checked for prequals, but just a US Bank card experience. 

I wanted a Cash+ but had just gotten 4 cards (between primary and au). I opened a checking account with them (was part of applying for a heloc, but I don't think that mattered). As part of the whole walk-through in branch of opening checking, there was a list of CC offers. I got my Cash+. I don't know if they're still offering $125 for opening a checking (it was only $75 when I got it) but they seem to be pretty relationship driven and if you forsee wanting to do business with them, I'd go for a checking account. If you have a CC with them, the monthly fees are waived on a gold checking (at least in my area). IDK if it mattered, but it was opened as a platinum package (first two months free) and I'm having it down graded to gold...platinum has fees waived with heloc, CC only waives fees on gold. 

They've also got a savings thing where if you 'get' $1000 into your savings account, they give you a $50 giftcard. Then if you leave it there for 1 year, you get another. You have to have it transfered there via a 'savings goal'. So I had $25 transferred the first month, but when I was in a position to park $1000 there, I transferred the other $975. I just got my first $50 and will wait for my second. I'm just spreading out my emergency cash. (letting DCU give me 3% on $500 too). 

So US Bank may have been ultra-low on what they valued my house on preventing the heloc, but I got my Cash+ and have made $125 off of them so far. And the branch manager loves us. He will continue to court us, I think. Smiley Wink He knows they blew it on the appraisal. 

Message 7 of 27
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Offer online checking the pre-qual yourself I don't think they are good at all.

Offer on your banking site or in the bank are fantastic!

Message 8 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah then i am good lol.
Message 9 of 27
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Only sure thing offers from us bank are pre-approvals in the mail and even those can not be sure if you credit profile has recently changed..  They do offer true pre-approvals by snail mail.. Website, don't trust.  Only you will know truely if you credit supports the product you are going after

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.