cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

usaa partial members not eligible for credit cards??

tag
spartanspirit
Contributor

usaa partial members not eligible for credit cards??

just got off the phone with a usaa rep, asking them about difference between full and partial members. she told me partial members are only eligible for checking/savings accounts and discounts on progressive insurance and some other small things, but no credit cards at all. how are all the partial members on this board getting credit cards then??

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

Re: usaa partial members not eligible for credit cards??

I think she was just misinformed. I've read lots of times here re: partial members able to get USAA's credit cards, and just got one myself as a partial member. The primary negative is that we aren't eligible for the really low interest rates available to the full members.

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 2 of 21
jsucool76
Super Contributor

As a partial member you are definitely eligible for credit cards, just not all the good ones. When you look inside your account (if you are a member) it will only show you cards you are eligible for (i think there is 2 of 3), but if you're a full member there is like 9999 cards you can qualify for, that tend to have better APRs and limits. 

As a partial member you will also not get any pre-approvals under the "My Offers" page that the full members talk about here. 

Message 3 of 21
Jlu
Established Contributor

You used to be able to open some cards but the ones like the AMEX cards were reserved for full members only. I believe the approvals & CL's were more lenient for full members too.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 4 of 21
Crashem
Valued Contributor

I know partial members can get credit cards unless policy changed recently.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 5 of 21
Cleanmachine
Frequent Contributor

Without the risk of sealing this thread, will someone please explain what is the difference between a Full Member and Partial Member really is ???

Message 6 of 21
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@Cleanmachine wrote:

Without the risk of sealing this thread, will someone please explain what is the difference between a Full Member and Partial Member really is ???

Full member needs to be somehow related to military (active duty, veteran, etc.).  Full members get access to USAA insurance (which is great) and full range of products.  Partial member is some random person joining with access to subset of products and services.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

this topic has been documented on the board a bit here, but it seems full members have a full selection of card products, where as partial has 3 cards to select from.

Message 8 of 21
Cleanmachine
Frequent Contributor

Thank you for the clarification.

However, "spartanspirit" indicated that  usaa rep, asking them about difference between full and partial members. she told me partial members are only eligible for checking/savings accounts and discounts on progressive insurance and some other small things, but no credit cards at all.

This is from USAA Web Site:

Who can become a member? 

Other Individuals

USAA's investment products, most checking and savings products, credit cards, life insurance, and shopping and discounts are available to other individuals.

It would appear to me that  "spartanspirit"  received bad information from USAA Represenative and if he is a "Partial" member he is eligible for the credit cards.

I suggest "spartanspirit" call back and speak with a supervisior.

Message 9 of 21
cassie3783
Regular Contributor

Just my 2 cents in regards to my experience:

I have no direct affiliation to military.  What I do have is a mom who works for the DoD, however, when I app'd for a USAA card, they never asked for any of that information.

Anywho, I still managed to apply for & receive a USAA MC & it holds my 2nd highest credit limit.

Good luck to you!

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.