cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

usaa partial members not eligible for credit cards??

tag
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: usaa partial members not eligible for credit cards??

They did tell me last year I could not get a Secured Credit Card because I was not a full member, so were you asking about secured or unsecured card?

Message 11 of 21
spartanspirit
Contributor

i was asking about any of the credit cards. but she told me "associate" members were not eligible for any of them. basically the only reason i joined.

Message 12 of 21
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@spartanspirit wrote:

i was asking about any of the credit cards. but she told me "associate" members were not eligible for any of them. basically the only reason i joined.

She is wrong.  Log into your account.  You should see some cards you can apply for.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 13 of 21
spartanspirit
Contributor

so i called usaa again to get another rep, and this rep told me the same thing. i was not eligible for anything except checking/savings and discounts for some life insurance products. i mentioned this board, how there are some members who have no military affiliation and they were able to get a credit cards, and she said that was not possible. she said only full members or usaa employees were eligible. not making a big deal out of this, just weird that im reading different from what they are saying.

Message 14 of 21
WhiteCollar
Established Contributor

They are giving you incorrect info. As a partial member, you can apply for both the USAA platunum visa and mastercard. You just will not be eligible to receive the lowest rates available, full members get that perk.

Message 15 of 21
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@spartanspirit wrote:

so i called usaa again to get another rep, and this rep told me the same thing. i was not eligible for anything except checking/savings and discounts for some life insurance products. i mentioned this board, how there are some members who have no military affiliation and they were able to get a credit cards, and she said that was not possible. she said only full members or usaa employees were eligible. not making a big deal out of this, just weird that im reading different from what they are saying.

From what I've read USAA is supposed to have good customer service, surprising that they would be handing out such misinformation. 

A partial member's screen will only show what you can apply for when you look at credit cards (i'm a partial member and I see this) 

USAA1.png

Whereas a full member gets all of these

USAA2.jpg

Message 16 of 21
spartanspirit
Contributor

thats funny, cuz the cards for full members is what i see when i log in, and my sister, who i signed up an account for in the exact same has the three card screen and was able to apply (denied). i called a third rep aaaaaannnnddddd she said everybody has full membership, just active and retired military get the insurance. she's never even heard of full or partial memberships, and i could apply for a card, i just had to phone in my application. awww to be confused. thanks for everyones help and advice. i appreciate it.

Message 17 of 21
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Not sure why you didn't just apply online.

Message 18 of 21
spartanspirit
Contributor

@Crashem wrote:

Not sure why you didn't just apply online.

because no matter which card i click on, im taken to a screen that asks me to verify my eligibility, and while my dad is retired air force, he's not a usaa member, so it tells me i cant apply for any of them and to use a different family member. its okay, not the worse thing that can happen to me. Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 21
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Didn't you join first?

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.