Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using credit card for everyday purchases

tag
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

Re: using credit card for everyday purchases

I use a CC to pay for EVERYTHING....gas, food, groceries, utilities, insurance, etc.  Yep I even swipe my card at Tim Hortons everyday for my daily coffee that is $1.76.  

The limitations of its use are only those that everyone else has such as mortgages and student loans.  

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 21 of 47
android01
Valued Contributor

Cash is sub-prime.  I use CC's for everything.  Smiley Surprised

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 22 of 47
BrokaToe
Established Contributor

I use my credit cards for everything...doesn't matter what it costs. The only time i pull out my debit card is to pull out $40 for a bill each week that only takes cash. I wish i didn't have to do that. :/

border="0" align="left" width="450" height="90">
Message 23 of 47
codimom
Frequent Contributor

I use my cards as though they were my debit card... and pif monthly.  doesnt matter if its 250 worth of merch or 2.50 worth of diet coke... it all goes on the card.

Back in the garden!
App free since 23Oct2012 reset to 27Aug13 and reset again 4nov13
Message 24 of 47
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@bribro wrote:

I use my credit cards for everything. I get points, I build my credit history, I make my card issuers happy, and I can track everything on Mint.com. I especially like to charge small amounts to my Freedom card, which has the grandfathered 10&10 program - a $0.25 purchase nets me 11 UR points, which I value at $0.33, meaning the purchase was essentially making me money. I try not to do this with small, local merchants though because I feel bad about the swipe fees.

What do you use UR points for?

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 25 of 47
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

Lol @ cash is subprime

In my wallet: Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex Everyday Preferred $15,000, Amex Starwood $10,000, Chase Freedom Visa Signature $10,000, Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15,000, Chase Ink Plus Visa Signature $5000 Barclaycard Arrival Plus MasterCard World Elite $10,000, Cap One Quicksilver MasterCard $6000, Citi Prestige World Elite MasterCard $10,000, Citi Forward Visa $6900, Citi Premier World Elite MasterCard $5,800, Discover IT $8500
Message 26 of 47
Meltdownblitz
Frequent Contributor

I too use credit cards for everything. No matter how much it is, if they will take my cc ill use it. I usually don't use a CSP or amex for smaller purchases though. I try to use my freedom or cash+ for those small purchases. And everyone should always carry cash. I always just carry a $20 but never use it unless I have to for some reason.

Barclays Uber - 4% Restaurants, 2% Online Purchases/Everyday Card || PenFed Cash - 5% Gas || Amazon Visa Signature - 5% Amazon || U.S. Bank Cash+ - 5% Utilities, 5% Cable/Internet || AMEX BCP - 6% Groceries || WF Cash - Cell Insurance || Rotating 5% Categories - Chase Freedom, Discover It, Citi Dividend || AMEX Zync - For Fun!

Message 27 of 47
SisterGirl
Established Contributor

I load my Serve card bi-weekly to swipe my morning coffee & occasional dining out. I never use my debit card EXCEPT withdrawals at the ATM & utilize my Capital One Cash Rewards as a back up to Serve, as I don't care for exposing too many card numbers all over the place. I keep a medicine bottle (a perfect fit) full of quarters in my tote for vending machines that typically have a couple of dollar bills folded in it, otherwise I don't carry cash.

SisterGirl

SisterGirl
Message 28 of 47
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Rhaeny wrote:

The limitations of its use are only those that everyone else has such as mortgages and student loans.  

@Bigcrumbs - > Amex gift cards @ 1.4% cash rebate - > williamspaid to pay rent/mortgage @ 2.9% charge   if you have a 1.5 point card like Chase Mileage Club it's paying 1 cent per point which is very lucrative, and with Mileage Plus after 25k spending a year you get 10k bonus for a 1.4 point redemption slightly above 1 penny a point which makes it very well worth it if you fly a lot. If you use the Venture card or Flagship reward (NFCU) you can still squeeze out 0.5% in profit, and if you use Flexperks card you can get upto 1.6 cents value profit towards your next plane ticket with any airline (3% card for everyday spending with Platinum checking 1.5 flexpoints = upto 3 cents)

Student loans some cards allows you to pay off student loans with rewards like the sally mae card and I believe you can do that with some Citi cards as well. But there are work arounds of where you can even buy crack from a dealer with credit cards so it all depends what your looking to do. For me I get 4.3 cent redemptions towards United flights per each point so it's very well worth it for me to pay 1% for 1.4 - 1.5 points.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 29 of 47
jacquelinemay9
New Contributor

Actually, before I found this site I used my debit card and cash for everything. Now I use CC for anything I can. A few smaller places prefer cash or debit so they don't have the swipe fee, so I respect that and pull out the debit. But everything else, CC. I think I've had the same $60 in my wallet for the last month. If I could find a way to pay my rent ($1400/mo) with a CC I absolutely would! Imagine the points I would accrue.... Smiley LOL

Message 30 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.