Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using credit cards for gas?

tag
subwaysandwich
Frequent Contributor

using credit cards for gas?

Is there even a point to use a credit card to buy gas? For the gas stations around me, they always charge a much higher price for those using credit cards, and wouldn't that just cancel out any awards earned than if I had just paid for gas with cash?
Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Re: using credit cards for gas?

@subwaysandwich wrote:
Is there even a point to use a credit card to buy gas? For the gas stations around me, they always charge a much higher price for those using credit cards, and wouldn't that just cancel out any awards earned than if I had just paid for gas with cash?

What's the difference per gallon? 

For e.g. current prices where I live are about $3.50, so unless I see at least a 18 cent reduction, I won't pay cash Smiley Happy For convenience, I'd keep the threshold at about 20 cents discount.

Message 2 of 40
subwaysandwich
Frequent Contributor

It's usually like 10 cents more just for using credit card
Message 3 of 40
sportsguy83
Regular Contributor

I’ve wondered about this too but found its worth it if you do the math.  I guess it really depends on how much more it is to use a credit card – around here it is usually only a 10 cent/gallon difference.  So if you have a Chase Freedom (or something similar) which gets 5% two quarters out of the year it saves you more.  Let’s say you are charged an extra 10 cents/gallon for using a credit card.  If you buy 16 gallons you pay an extra $1.60 just to use your credit card.  If gas is $4/gallon that is $64. 5% of that is $3.20 – more than the extra you are paying to use your credit card. Even a card that gets only 3% back (more common) would be better by 30 cents under that scenario.

Beginning Rebuilding - February 2022

Current Scores - June 2023

Goal Scores - January 2024

Message 4 of 40
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@subwaysandwich wrote:

So while that's a pain, at 3.50 (3.60 for credit), I still come out ahead using credit on my SM, or for this quarter Discover It/Freedom (I come out VERY ahead on Freedom this Q for gas), since I'd be effectively getting a 18 cent/gallon discount using SM or IT

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 5 of 40
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

@subwaysandwich wrote:

Theres no difference by me for paying with a card so I guess its worth it for me.  Currently gas is sitting at $3.64 so a tank of gas earns me just under 3 bucks on my Discover or Sallie card.  Adds up fast for summer months when I feel like I'm constantly filling up. 

Message 6 of 40
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@subwaysandwich wrote:

If you pay $4 a gallon and used a CC that got 3% cash back for gas, you'd be getting 12 cents a gallon, which would offset the price difference.   The gas stations here that have a difference usually keep it less than 10 cents, so it works out well for me.   However, if you don't have a CC with decent gas rewards, you could always get a gas card for the station you frequent most often; gas stations tend to charge the cash price for their own CCs.

I think aside from rewards, you're much safer using a CC at a gas pump.   If your card ever got skimmed from one of those in-pump readers, it's much better to have a CL compromised instead of a bank account.  Cash is fine, but CC is certainly faster.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 7 of 40
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@sportsguy83 wrote:

I’ve wondered about this too but found its worth it if you do the math.  I guess it really depends on how much more it is to use a credit card – around here it is usually only a 10 cent/gallon difference.  So if you have a Chase Freedom (or something similar) which gets 5% two quarters out of the year it saves you more.  Let’s say you are charged an extra 10 cents/gallon for using a credit card.  If you buy 16 gallons you pay an extra $1.60 just to use your credit card.  If gas is $4/gallon that is $64. 5% of that is $3.20 – more than the extra you are paying to use your credit card. Even a card that gets only 3% back (more common) would be better by 30 cents under that scenario.

And if you use Freedom as UR points, with a transfer card, the points are worth more than 1c, so it is even more worthwhile.

Message 8 of 40
tattooedhusker
Established Contributor

@PlasticOrPlastic wrote:

@subwaysandwich wrote:

Theres no difference by me for paying with a card so I guess its worth it for me.  Currently gas is sitting at $3.64 so a tank of gas earns me just under 3 bucks on my Discover or Sallie card.  Adds up fast for summer months when I feel like I'm constantly filling up. 

Same way here, same price either way. It's worth it, but I only spend about $140/month on gas

NFCU CashRewards $13.5k | AMEX BCE $15k | Lowes $17k | Sportsmanss guide $7.6k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $4.4k |
Walmart $8k | Gordman's $2950
Message 9 of 40
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

Just curious where do you guys live that they charge 10 cents a gallon to use credit?  That seems insane to me....

Message 10 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.