Frequent Contributor
subwaysandwich

using credit cards for gas?

Is there even a point to use a credit card to buy gas? For the gas stations around me, they always charge a much higher price for those using credit cards, and wouldn't that just cancel out any awards earned than if I had just paid for gas with cash?
Established Contributor
Ghoshida

Re: using credit cards for gas?

subwaysandwich wrote:
Is there even a point to use a credit card to buy gas? For the gas stations around me, they always charge a much higher price for those using credit cards, and wouldn't that just cancel out any awards earned than if I had just paid for gas with cash?

What's the difference per gallon? 

For e.g. current prices where I live are about $3.50, so unless I see at least a 18 cent reduction, I won't pay cash :smileyhappy: For convenience, I'd keep the threshold at about 20 cents discount.

AMEX BCE || Barclaycard Sallie Mae || Capital One QuickSilver || Chase Freedom || Chase Sapphire Preferred || Citi Dividend || Discover It || University FCU || US Bank Cash+ || US Bank REI

First card Aug 2012. Last card Oct 2014.
Gardening since 22-Oct-2014.
Frequent Contributor
subwaysandwich

It's usually like 10 cents more just for using credit card
Valued Member
sportsguy83

[ Edited ]

I’ve wondered about this too but found its worth it if you do the math.  I guess it really depends on how much more it is to use a credit card – around here it is usually only a 10 cent/gallon difference.  So if you have a Chase Freedom (or something similar) which gets 5% two quarters out of the year it saves you more.  Let’s say you are charged an extra 10 cents/gallon for using a credit card.  If you buy 16 gallons you pay an extra $1.60 just to use your credit card.  If gas is $4/gallon that is $64. 5% of that is $3.20 – more than the extra you are paying to use your credit card. Even a card that gets only 3% back (more common) would be better by 30 cents under that scenario.

Starting: TU: 680 ; EX: 678; EQ: 672 / / Current: TU: 713; EX: 679; EQ: 681 / / Goal: 720;
Gardening since: 6/25/2014
Established Contributor
longtime_lurker

[ Edited ]

subwaysandwich wrote:

So while that's a pain, at 3.50 (3.60 for credit), I still come out ahead using credit on my SM, or for this quarter Discover It/Freedom (I come out VERY ahead on Freedom this Q for gas), since I'd be effectively getting a 18 cent/gallon discount using SM or IT

Established Contributor
PlasticOrPlastic

subwaysandwich wrote:

Theres no difference by me for paying with a card so I guess its worth it for me.  Currently gas is sitting at $3.64 so a tank of gas earns me just under 3 bucks on my Discover or Sallie card.  Adds up fast for summer months when I feel like I'm constantly filling up. 

Community Leader
Senior Contributor
SunriseEarth

subwaysandwich wrote:

If you pay $4 a gallon and used a CC that got 3% cash back for gas, you'd be getting 12 cents a gallon, which would offset the price difference.   The gas stations here that have a difference usually keep it less than 10 cents, so it works out well for me.   However, if you don't have a CC with decent gas rewards, you could always get a gas card for the station you frequent most often; gas stations tend to charge the cash price for their own CCs.

I think aside from rewards, you're much safer using a CC at a gas pump.   If your card ever got skimmed from one of those in-pump readers, it's much better to have a CL compromised instead of a bank account.  Cash is fine, but CC is certainly faster.  

Start: 619 (Wally, 9/2013) | Current: 669 (Wally, 12/8/14), 703 (EQ myFICO 8/13/14)
Care Credit $10200 | JCP $5000 | Walmart Store $5000 | Amazon Store $5000 | AMEX BCE $4500 | Overstock $4300 | Cap 1 QS1 $4000 | AMEX Costco TE $3500 | Macy's Special Events $2900 | Macy's Revolving $2500 | CU Visa $2500 | Sony Card $2500 | Macy's AMEX $1500 | Citi DC WMC $1200 | Merrick $1200 | VS $1150 | Gold Violin $1150 | Target $1000 | ~~Gardening Since 12/2/14
Super Contributor
longtimelurker

sportsguy83 wrote:

I’ve wondered about this too but found its worth it if you do the math.  I guess it really depends on how much more it is to use a credit card – around here it is usually only a 10 cent/gallon difference.  So if you have a Chase Freedom (or something similar) which gets 5% two quarters out of the year it saves you more.  Let’s say you are charged an extra 10 cents/gallon for using a credit card.  If you buy 16 gallons you pay an extra $1.60 just to use your credit card.  If gas is $4/gallon that is $64. 5% of that is $3.20 – more than the extra you are paying to use your credit card. Even a card that gets only 3% back (more common) would be better by 30 cents under that scenario.

And if you use Freedom as UR points, with a transfer card, the points are worth more than 1c, so it is even more worthwhile.

Established Contributor
tattooedhusker

PlasticOrPlastic wrote:

subwaysandwich wrote:

Theres no difference by me for paying with a card so I guess its worth it for me.  Currently gas is sitting at $3.64 so a tank of gas earns me just under 3 bucks on my Discover or Sallie card.  Adds up fast for summer months when I feel like I'm constantly filling up. 

Same way here, same price either way. It's worth it, but I only spend about $140/month on gas

NFCU CashRewards $13.5k | AMEX BCE $9.5k | Lowes $17k | Sportsmanss guide $6.6k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $1.4k |
Walmart $8k | Gordman's $2550 |
Scores: EQ: 676 EX: 714 TU: 725 Goal: 750 across the board
Established Contributor
PlasticOrPlastic

Just curious where do you guys live that they charge 10 cents a gallon to use credit?  That seems insane to me....

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}