Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using credit cards for gas?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: using credit cards for gas?

@PlasticOrPlastic wrote:

Just curious where do you guys live that they charge 10 cents a gallon to use credit?  That seems insane to me....

Insane in what way, too small or shouldn't happen at all!

Since the beginning of credit cards, merchants would like to charge more for credit to make up for the transaction fees.   This is real, although the CCCs would argue that accepting cards drives additional traffic and purchasing power (because people spend more than they have) and also there are costs in handling and transporting cash.

Only recently, in some states, are merchants allowed to impose a surcharge for credit.   Because of competition, a lot of merchants don't do it, scared they will lose credit customers to other stores.

Prior to that, many gas stations gave "discount for cash" which is of course EXTREMELY different from "surcharge for credit".   In the first case you pay 10c per gallon more for using a credit card, and in the second case you spend 10c more per gallon for using a credit card!

Message 11 of 40
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

@PlasticOrPlastic wrote:

Just curious where do you guys live that they charge 10 cents a gallon to use credit?  That seems insane to me....

Southern California for one! Sometimes it's more than a 10 cent penalty for plastic. This is why we finally ended up at Costco and their Amex card. They are already 25+ cents cheaper per gallon at the pump than the local major suppliers. About on par with Arco which doesn't accept rebate/credit cards. Cheaper gas with the 3% rebate is hard to beat.  

Message 12 of 40
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@PlasticOrPlastic wrote:

Insane in what way, too small or shouldn't happen at all!

Since the beginning of credit cards, merchants would like to charge more for credit to make up for the transaction fees.   This is real, although the CCCs would argue that accepting cards drives additional traffic and purchasing power (because people spend more than they have) and also there are costs in handling and transporting cash.

Only recently, in some states, are merchants allowed to impose a surcharge for credit.   Because of competition, a lot of merchants don't do it, scared they will lose credit customers to other stores.

Prior to that, many gas stations gave "discount for cash" which is of course EXTREMELY different from "surcharge for credit".   In the first case you pay 10c per gallon more for using a credit card, and in the second case you spend 10c more per gallon for using a credit card!

It shouldnt happen at all.  I understand the surcharge to make up for transaction fees but around here only the smallest mom and pop gas stations charge extra to use a credit card, which is fine because they usually operate on the outskirts of town where people will pay the extra since they have no choice.  In the city though everybody is pretty competitive and I've never seen a surcharge to use credit.  In this day and age most people use some form of credit/debit card.  I personally never carry cash, and actually find myself quite annoyed when merchants don't accept credit or debit cards.  Thats why I was wondering where people are living or buying gas that charges 10 cents per gallon to use a credit card. 

Message 13 of 40
sportsguy83
Regular Contributor

@PlasticOrPlastic wrote:

Seattle metro area and Washington in general. Not all stations but a lot of them are 10 cents more to use credit cards. Also some stations like Chevron charge an extra 10 cents if you use a credit card OTHER than their own (i.e. the Chevron gas card). It's ridiculous.

Beginning Rebuilding - February 2022

Current Scores - June 2023

Goal Scores - January 2024

Message 14 of 40
RushXTC
Established Contributor

@subwaysandwich wrote:
Is there even a point to use a credit card to buy gas? For the gas stations around me, they always charge a much higher price for those using credit cards, and wouldn't that just cancel out any awards earned than if I had just paid for gas with cash?

I use Chevron only and they charge the same here.

So I can get either 3% on my BoA Cash Rewards (All year long) or 5% in a certain quarter with my Discover.

Message 15 of 40
john398
Senior Contributor

@PlasticOrPlastic wrote:

Tom Thumb (Safeway) here in Texas charges 10 cents more per gallon for credit

Message 16 of 40
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@PlasticOrPlastic wrote:

A lot of places in Connecticut do that,I just choose to not go to them even if they are few cents cheaper 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 17 of 40
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Living in Detroit, I only pay with credit cards - for anything - and it's $0.10 per gallon for using credit card here.  There's too many skimming machines being used by criminals to put your liquid funds at risk by using Debit cards.

Message 18 of 40
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@B335is wrote:

Living in Detroit, I only pay with credit cards - for anything - and it's $0.10 per gallon for using credit card here.  There's too many skimming machines being used by criminals to put your liquid funds at risk by using Debit cards.

Here they count debut cards as credit cards.you need actual paper money for it to qualify for cash price 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 19 of 40
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@mongstradamus wrote:

@B335is wrote:

Here they count debut cards as credit cards.you need actual paper money for it to qualify for cash price 

See it's been so long since I paid cash I didn't realize it's the old fashioned cold hard cash!!

Message 20 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.