Did you mean: 

venture vs venture one Help

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: venture vs venture one Help

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

You're suggesting OP applies for the Venture One which has lesser rewards and then apply for the Venture which is the exact same card with higher rewards.  We can debate about "crappy" or not but the fact is you are suggesting OP apply for a lower tier of the same product, then apply for a higher tier minutes later.  Makes no sense to me.

There is no guarantee of the "combined HP" thing and it's starting to become a mantra on here...but some people are gonna be disappointed when they get 6 HPs! Because it can and will happen.

You are completely missing the point. OP asked which card they had a better shot at, not which one was better for their portfolio, or which one had better rewards, or which one kdm31091 thinks is crappier. 

OP has a better shot at VentureOne. 

I'm not missing the point. You still suggested double apping. But whatever.

Yes, at this moment OP has a better shot at Venture One. So why don't they just WAIT and then can go for the higher tiered, "better" card? What is the gain from rushing this?

Message 11 of 19
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Is there really any proof that VentureOne and Venture have different underwriting criteria? According to Cap1 they're both for "excellent" credit. If OP wants to try I think they could very well be approved for both
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@icyhot wrote:
Is there really any proof that VentureOne and Venture have different underwriting criteria? According to Cap1 they're both for "excellent" credit. If OP wants to try I think they could very well be approved for both

According to Capitalone.com, both are listed at "Excellent Credit" credit cards.  However the VentureOne has a $3000 minimum and the Venture has a $5000 minimum.  Based on that alone, i would presume qualifying for a $5000 limit in itself would be more difficult.

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Keep us posted OP

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would say go for them both! I was approved with scores a little higher than yours and I had 1 account with 60 and 90 day lates within the prior 4 months when I applied. I was instantly approved for a Venture and got the 7-10 day message on the VentureOne. They double pulled me on all the bureaus. 30 days later I ended up getting approved for a 2nd Venture card.

Message 15 of 19
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

IMO I would not app for either at this point in time your scores are not really in the range of what is considered excellent credit. Cap-1 also defines it as having a CL of at leat 5K for 3 years. However to answer your question the V1 is most likely going to be easier to qualify for.

Message 16 of 19
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

This is what I don't like about this site. Members see other members getting high approvals and want in. Your profile would get MAYBE a $10k max approval if at all.

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Imo, the only difference is your willingness to pay the AF or take less reward points for your purchases. Approval is not just about your score or your other CL's. I only had 2 cards until my Venture was approved yesterday - a Cap 1 that was just increased to a $1900 limit last month, and a best buy card w/a $1600 limit.
What i did was call and spoke to a CSR to do a live application, because I wanted them to tell me what their terms of "excellent credit" really meant so i knew whether or not to apply. The csr ran down the requirements to me, I don't remember all but there was a mention of no late payments in the last 18mos, and no collections or bk's in the last 2 years. MY SCORES? EQ-654, TU-677, EX-678. Your income goes into consideration, as well if you have a hefty amt of inquiries. Good luck OP. I was approved for 15k
Message 18 of 19
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Imo, the only difference is your willingness to pay the AF or take less reward points for your purchases. Approval is not just about your score or your other CL's. I only had 2 cards until my Venture was approved yesterday - a Cap 1 that was just increased to a $1900 limit last month, and a best buy card w/a $1600 limit.
What i did was call and spoke to a CSR to do a live application, because I wanted them to tell me what their terms of "excellent credit" really meant so i knew whether or not to apply. The csr ran down the requirements to me, I don't remember all but there was a mention of no late payments in the last 18mos, and no collections or bk's in the last 2 years. MY SCORES? EQ-654, TU-677, EX-678. Your income goes into consideration, as well if you have a hefty amt of inquiries. Good luck OP. I was approved for 15k

Hmmm. That's interesting. Then I have excellent credit according to what you're saying Cap 1 categorizes as excellent. It'd be worth opening up a chat to see LOL.

Personal:

Business:

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.