Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: want to close First Premier, Credit One and Merrick

Close them.
Message 11 of 19
fritscher
Regular Contributor

One down..two to go..i got a nice rep on phone and explained that i had new cards now with no fees etc and had no need for the card anymore..they tried to talk me in to keeping it by offering me $30 account credit lol and said no..then he said he would go ahead and close it and i would be getting ck in mail for $49 as a refund on my annual fee I just paid..I asked him if i had to do anymore and he said no and that it would be reported to the credit bureaus that the account was paid as promised and closed by customer

Message 12 of 19
fritscher
Regular Contributor

oops the card I closed was the FIrst Premier..Now next will be credit one

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Close them yesterday
Message 14 of 19
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

@fritscher wrote:

One down..two to go..i got a nice rep on phone and explained that i had new cards now with no fees etc and had no need for the card anymore..they tried to talk me in to keeping it by offering me $30 account credit lol and said no..then he said he would go ahead and close it and i would be getting ck in mail for $49 as a refund on my annual fee I just paid..I asked him if i had to do anymore and he said no and that it would be reported to the credit bureaus that the account was paid as promised and closed by customer

Excellent!

Just make sure you check them every couple of weeks for the next two months... Sometimes last-minute interest charges make it onto the card.  You don't want to get dinged with a late payment if that happens!

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 15 of 19
negg
Frequent Contributor

Before you close first premier. Ask if they will soft pull you cli to $5000 and make the card a signature.  Love to here there response to this. 

CSR.........11,900.......Delta Amex $11,200.........Marriott Rewards Premier $8000.......Discover IT $9700......Citi Preferred $8600.......Chase Freedom $10,800.....Barclay(apple) $11,600......BofA $1500.......Capital One $7400......FNO $9800......Barclay(Hawaiian airlines)$11,000......Citi Costco $15,000. June 1st 2013 0 credit cards and 575 fico. Today 117K in credit and 812 fico and ZERO INQUIRIES......ZERO. 2018 goal. 825 fico.
Message 16 of 19
Maxi11510
Contributor

Hi fritscher,

I had 2 First Premier credit cards since 2012. I actually called this morning to cancel them both. I attempted this before and I unwisely let thenm talk me into keeping them with the offer of a $75 credit to pay for the fees. Both accounts had a credit balance and are now both closed and ill have a check in the mail within 7-10 days. (We will see). I have prime cards including as of yesterday Amex. So my advice let them go!! Wishing you the best

Message 17 of 19
garagebandking
Regular Contributor

OP, congrats on being ready to close those low hanging bastards out.

FP, I had them in college and just never paid them, whoops.

Merrick was fine by me but there comes a time when there's little point to have a super low CL floating around your portfolio

Credit One was never a problem for me, but again, how many 1k-1500 cards do you need?

Credit One will probably give you a hard sell on the attempted close and then keep mailing you offers to entice you back haha.

I'd recommend that you request confirmation of closure in writing...and...that you continue to check those three accounts periodically for a few months after closing them just to be safe.

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@negg wrote:

Before you close first premier. Ask if they will soft pull you cli to $5000 and make the card a signature.  Love to here there response to this. 

If I remember right from when I had an FP card (yes I'll admit it), FP charged you a percentage of the CLI as a fee so I'm sure they'd love to give the OP a $5k limit.  If I could go back in time and do one thing, it'd be preventing FP's existence, save the world a lot of grief...

Oz

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.