cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wells fargo "charge off credit card" goodwill letter changed to "closed by consumer, never late"

tag
thegoat

wells fargo "charge off credit card" goodwill letter changed to "closed by consumer, never late"

so i had a credit card with wells fargo before i went to the military and maxed it out before i went to bootcamp and when i came back I closed it but they didnt close it because i had pending charges.  I did get it closed about 2 years ago and on my credit report it comes up as "paid, was a charge-off" or "payment after charge-off" or "bad debt and placed for collection and skip"  thats what it comes up as from all 3 credit bureaus.  I just got a response back today saying they were gonna change it to

"closed by consumer, never late" will my score go up after the changes have been made to my credit report?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: wells fargo "charge off credit card" goodwill letter changed to "closed by consum

Im not too sure whether your scores will go up. Hopefully someone who knows about this can chime in. You might have better luck posting this in rebuilding section as well.

However, during a manual review, including mortgage process, this new status will definitely look a lot better as opposed to being a charge-off.

Grats!
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 3
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: wells fargo "charge off credit card" goodwill letter changed to "closed by consum

Welcome to the forum

It sounds like they are removing the derogatory item from your file. If that's the case and you do not have any other derogs, you should see an increase. It also depends on how long the item has been on your file as a derog. The older the item the less of an impact it has on your CS.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.