Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what CC should apply for?

tag
jorin
Valued Member

Re: what CC should apply for?

Hmm...  I've always selected my cards based on the rates they offers...  What do you consider to be a good initial CL?
Message 11 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

anything above 10k. And of course, the cards that will grow with me. All big banks prime cards have decent apr anyway, I do not carry balances, so the APR doesn't worry me that much. I just want to open a couple of solid prime cards with decent CL that I will have and that will grow with me as they age.
Message 12 of 34
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
What major banks would you suggest? I have 2.5 years of credit history, FAKO's are 765, 765 and 743. Fico is something like 740 (i did a mortage pull to check those) I have US BANK Visa 14.5k, Key bank MC 10k, Key bank LOC 7k, Amex Gold, couple of smaller cards that got stuck and will not grow with me... I want to add a couple of nice limit major bank cards (APR does not matter as I will not carry balances on them). The only things are good limits and that the CCC will not cut them for small usage etc. I understood the CU thing. WHAT ABOUT BIG BANKS?

Small usage? Do you think you need any more credit now if that is the case? Just sayin'.

Message 13 of 34
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

When app'ing for credit these days I am looking for dependable CL's and not big flash that will also be gone in a flash. CU's are better for larger lines -and- are more likely to leave them in place. CU's don't really like to go back on their side of a bargain. You have to give them a reason to do so.

Message 14 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're interested in a major bank, CITI is probably a good choice.  With good scores and limited inquiries, you could expect an initial CL at the high end.  In addition, CITI will give decent CLIs more frequently than other major banks, and usually with a soft pull.
Message 15 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, I UNDERSTANT what you are trying to tell me about CU, and let me repeat myself, I'm asking you about BIG BANKS, not about CU. Thank you. Please, if you can't advice a good one, don't advice anything thank you again. I did not mean to be rude, I'm just looking for the answer to my question.
Message 16 of 34
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Citi then. Any big bank is gonna want to see you use their limit or they will CLD or outright close the account.
Message 17 of 34
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Ok, I UNDERSTANT what you are trying to tell me about CU, and let me repeat myself, I'm asking you about BIG BANKS, not about CU. Thank you. Please, if you can't advice a good one, don't advice anything thank you again. I did not mean to be rude, I'm just looking for the answer to my question.

You are not the only one listening. Feel free to disregard any advice that runs contrary to your preconceptions.
Message Edited by creditwherecreditisdue on 08-08-2009 01:07 AM
Message 18 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

CITI is the antithesis of a CU.  Its about as big a bank as you can get.  Good initial CL, good CLIs given frequently.  However, as another poster has stated, they only make money if you use the card.  If you don't use it, you'll probably lose it (or, not grow the card)..

Message Edited by illtakecreditforthat on 08-07-2009 10:47 PM
Message 19 of 34
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Let's see... I have $18.2K in CL's on PenFed cards and.. um.. the highest bank is... well it is Discover at $8.1K followed by (it's really Macy's at $7.7K CL's)... let's say BofA at $7.5K. Now I know PenFed is going to leave me alone as long as I pay them. Discover is probably going to leave me alone and might even give me a CLI in a week or so, but they are never going to give me what I have at PenFed. Then there is BofA. They are one of those outfits like Citi and Chase that I always have to keep an eye on. It's a slippery slope with them - you're just a little cog in a machine that is part of somebody else's factory. If I had to pick one that might be less likely to screw with you it would probably be Citi, but then again don't get a card with Thank You points - you see they just sent letters to 500,000 cardholders telling them they were getting an AF, but could get it rebated with moderate use. ($2.4K/year - you pay the fee up front.) Then there are the CLD's and RJ's.

Her Ladyship got a $10K PenFed card about a year ago. Just got pre-app offer for $40K more unsecured credit with them and accepted $20K added on to her existing card bringing it to $30K. wmarat took his card to $50K. HTSU has been offered twice. I know which side my bread is buttered on and where the reliable high CL's are. Everything else is dabbling and unreliable due to the possibility instant AA. Get a bank card and use it happily for a BT. Can't count on a bank for anything more than that. The rest is just too random.

Message 20 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.