Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what Card?

tag
gettinit
Established Member

what Card?

Hello all... Ive been a long time lurker in this forum, and now I come to you all with questions.  I just got preapproved for a streamline refi on my current mortgage.  So with in the next month or so I plan to apply for a better CC.  I currently have two crapital one cards of 1250 and 1500 balances that are 2 and three yrs old respectively.  My fico TU is 742, myfico EQ is 685 and my EX lender pull was 718.  I have a two year old collection on EQ that i'm try to clear up.  and only the one inquiry fro my refi showing on my reports.  Now my question is what should I apply for.  I want a rewards card to grow with me, in addition to giving me a starting CL higher that my current cards.  so what cards are know for being generous with starting credit limits?  Is there any chance I might be able to pull off a Amex BCE or BCP.  Thanks in advance for iinput It will be truly appreciated.

Starting Score: EQ671 TU675
Current Score: EQ685 TU742 EX718(lender pull
Goal Score: 800 across all three
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
wmarat
Valued Contributor

Re: what Card?

@gettinit wrote:

Hello all... Ive been a long time lurker in this forum, and now I come to you all with questions.  I just got preapproved for a streamline refi on my current mortgage.  So with in the next month or so I plan to apply for a better CC.  I currently have two crapital one cards of 1250 and 1500 balances that are 2 and three yrs old respectively.  My fico TU is 742, myfico EQ is 685 and my EX lender pull was 718.  I have a two year old collection on EQ that i'm try to clear up.  and only the one inquiry fro my refi showing on my reports.  Now my question is what should I apply for.  I want a rewards card to grow with me, in addition to giving me a starting CL higher that my current cards.  so what cards are know for being generous with starting credit limits?  Is there any chance I might be able to pull off a Amex BCE or BCP.  Thanks in advance for iinput It will be truly appreciated.

Do not think that Amex is an option. Check out your local CU.

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 2 of 11
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@gettinit wrote:

I would try for an Amex charge card product... they are NPSL...  If you're looking to revolve a balance, you may be able to look at Discover More or Chase... I was able to get a Chase Visa using a recon...

GL!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 11
wmarat
Valued Contributor

Is Chase/Discover  a good rewards card? I learn new things every day.

@webhopper wrote:

@gettinit wrote:

Hello all... Ive been a long time lurker in this forum, and now I come to you all with questions.  I just got preapproved for a streamline refi on my current mortgage.  So with in the next month or so I plan to apply for a better CC.  I currently have two crapital one cards of 1250 and 1500 balances that are 2 and three yrs old respectively.  My fico TU is 742, myfico EQ is 685 and my EX lender pull was 718.  I have a two year old collection on EQ that i'm try to clear up.  and only the one inquiry fro my refi showing on my reports.  Now my question is what should I apply for.  starting CL I want a rewards card to grow with me, in addition to giving me a higher that my current cards.  so what cards are know for being generous with starting credit limits?  Is there any chance I might be able to pull off a Amex BCE or BCP.  Thanks in advance for iinput It will be truly appreciated.

I would try for an Amex charge card product... they are NPSL...  If you're looking to revolve a balance, you may be able to look at Discover More or Chase... I was able to get a Chase Visa using a recon...

GL!

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 4 of 11
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

i also think a revolver  AE may be early right now.

Do you know what your profile is like? AAoA, utilization etc...

I had similar Capital One cars with similar CL and age. I got approved for a Discover More last night with similar score for $3500, though not as high as i'd like. But there are more to it than just scores. Chase Freedom is also a good one as webhopper has already suggested.

You can search my thread about the Discover More approval. Its on the 1st page.

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 5 of 11
gettinit
Established Member

oh yeah my average age of account is 7 years.  utilization is currently 20%.  Gross annual salary is over 100k.

Message 6 of 11
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@gettinit wrote:

oh yeah my average age of account is 7 years.  utilization is currently 20%.  Gross annual salary is over 100k.

You should have no problem going for the Discover More or Chase Freedom...   With the Income, you would have a good shot at one of the charge cards, Gold or Premier Rewards is what I would do if I was in your shoes...  Amex likes good income, so you may have a shot at Blue Cash Preferred or Blue Cash Everyday, but I would go for the charge card first before pressing my luck with the Amex revolvers.

FICO 9:

Message 7 of 11
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@wmarat wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

@gettinit wrote:

Hello all... Ive been a long time lurker in this forum, and now I come to you all with questions.  I just got preapproved for a streamline refi on my current mortgage.  So with in the next month or so I plan to apply for a better CC.  I currently have two crapital one cards of 1250 and 1500 balances that are 2 and three yrs old respectively.  My fico TU is 742, myfico EQ is 685 and my EX lender pull was 718.  I have a two year old collection on EQ that i'm try to clear up.  and only the one inquiry fro my refi showing on my reports.  Now my question is what should I apply for.  starting CL I want a rewards card to grow with me, in addition to giving me a higher that my current cards.  so what cards are know for being generous with starting credit limits?  Is there any chance I might be able to pull off a Amex BCE or BCP.  Thanks in advance for iinput It will be truly appreciated.

GL!

Chase Freedom is a good cash back card....    Discover is not the best rewards card out there, but the rewards are easy to understand, easy to get, and easy to redeem.... Their customer service and cool website makes up for whatever is lacking in premium rewards...  I like Discover personally...  Their Discover Travel Agents are great if you want to use your discover to book vacations.  Other people may criticize discover, but I've managed to keep them around since 1999 despite living through a divorce, judgement and AA by other CC companies in 2008 and recession CLDs... so I'm very loyal because without them I would have been in a pickle during this recession. 

FICO 9:

Message 8 of 11
gettinit
Established Member

thanks a ton webhopper!

Message 9 of 11
gettinit
Established Member

@webhopper wrote:

@wmarat wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

@gettinit wrote:

GL!

Chase Freedom is a good cash back card....    Discover is not the best rewards card out there, but the rewards are easy to understand, easy to get, and easy to redeem.... Their customer service and cool website makes up for whatever is lacking in premium rewards...  I like Discover personally...  Their Discover Travel Agents are great if you want to use your discover to book vacations.  Other people may criticize discover, but I've managed to keep them around since 1999 despite living through a divorce, judgement and AA by other CC companies in 2008 and recession CLDs... so I'm very loyal because without them I would have been in a pickle during this recession. 

Well I have been getting a solicited heavily from discover lately thanks for the feedback ijust might app them, again thank you for your time!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.