cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what %age is the rule for building credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

what %age is the rule for building credit?

What amount of type total available balance is optimal to use on your card?

And how do you time the payoff so that it doesn't just look like you have a zero balance card?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Re: what %age is the rule for building credit?

Hey seriously!

It's wise to report 1-9% utilization on one card and 0s on the other, and let it report for each statement. Otherwise, use your cards to your hearts content! Make sure the balances or 0s that need to report are paid off each due date, then try not to spend on those cards until the statement's close (your statement date).

Good luck! Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 12
xerostatus
Regular Contributor

In order to maximize FICO at any given time, only allow one card to report <1~9% utilization, all others should report $0 balance.

In order to make sure accounts report $0 on reports, pay in full the oustanding/current balance BEFORE the statement date. 

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

So... 1 to 9% on one card as of the statement date... how do you know what date it was actually reported if you want to use it again?
Message 4 of 12
xerostatus
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So... 1 to 9% on one card as of the statement date... how do you know what date it was actually reported if you want to use it again?

Once your statement "cuts", you can use the card again. Your actual statement document should appear in your account within 1 or 2 days after the cut-date. Once the statement cuts with $0 balance, it stays that way until the next billing/statement period. Then, whatever balance you've charged up by then, you pay before the NEXT statement cut date.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok I think I get it now...think of your statement date as your due date.. whatever shows when your statement generates is what reports... duh...why couldn't I grasp that???? Lol
Message 6 of 12
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Ok I think I get it now...think of your statement date as your due date.. whatever shows when your statement generates is what reports... duh...why couldn't I grasp that???? Lol

Not always US Bank usually reports the 30th even if your statement closes on another date. It's kind of trial and error until you figure out when each credit card reports to credit bureaus

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 7 of 12
xerostatus
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You got it, basically. If you keep doing this each month, you can basically have a perpetual "$0 min payment due" which is kind of neat. 

Message 8 of 12
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@coldnmn wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not always US Bank usually reports the 30th even if your statement closes on another date. It's kind of trial and error until you figure out when each credit card reports to credit bureaus

+1 they always report at the end of each month ( US BANK )

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 9 of 12
golfitup

Need a little clarification please - just got one credit card started (Credit Union Visa) with a $1,500 limit.

Lets say my statement date is the 20th of each month. August 20th will be my 1st statement date. I need to have charged between 1~9% of my limit before the 20th and then it will cut this as my charged amount for the month. Then, after my bill becomes due, what do I do to keep it going? LOL. I will get a bill for payment next I guess. Then do I pay it off lets say the 1st of September and then charge 1~9% again to it before the 20th of September and it cuts again? 

Thanks!

Golfitup

Rome wasn't build in a day, and apparently the same could be said for my credit . . . lol
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.