Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what card do you use for car rentals?

tag
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

what card do you use for car rentals?

So what card do you use for car rentals and why? Which card has the best deal on rental insurance?

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: what card do you use for car rentals?

@bigblue7722 wrote:

So what card do you use for car rentals and why? Which card has the best deal on rental insurance?

Haven't had to do it yet, but the CSP gives primary renters insurance over your own insurance is my understanding as long as you put the rental on the card.. Sounds fair to me.  Plus I assume you get 2x points as well.  So this is the card I will use over seas for rentals.. No FTF's, primary renters insurance and 2x.

Message 2 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

CSP 

Message 3 of 33
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Capital One Spark (overseas), Amex Platinum or Business Gold (USA only).

Message 4 of 33
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@bigblue7722 wrote:

Haven't had to do it yet, but the CSP gives primary renters insurance over your own insurance is my understanding as long as you put the rental on the card.. Sounds fair to me.  Plus I assume you get 2x points as well.  So this is the card I will use over seas for rentals.. No FTF's, primary renters insurance and 2x.

do i have to do anything else other than put the rental on my card? I was thinking about using my points to book the rental on chase UR website anyways. 

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 5 of 33
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@bigblue7722 wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@bigblue7722 wrote:

do i have to do anything else other than put the rental on my card? I was thinking about using my points to book the rental on chase UR website anyways. 

Nope just rent the car with the CSP, didnt even know you could rent a car through their website.. So that method or just when you are renting it wherever you are should work.. I haven't fully read everything about it, but that is my understanding just glancing through the benefits.  Might want to makea followup call, but pretty simple it appears

Message 6 of 33
flan
Regular Contributor

@bigblue7722 wrote:

Decine the collision damage waiver.  Remember, the CSP's coverage, like all free cover from credit cards, only covers damage to the car.  It does not cover liability for damage to other vehicles or medical expenses.  If you have regular car insurance, it may cover that.  Check, and if it doesn't figure out what you'll do for cover.  Some insurance doesn't cover rentals abroad, some does, t's worth knowing if you're traveling.

Message 7 of 33
Lyythine
Established Contributor

I always put my car rentals on my USAA Amex.  Mostly because I also have USAA auto insurance and USAA umbrella insurance, so if it comes to subrogation, they can fight it out amongst themselves.  Let the best USAA insurance department win!! Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lyythine wrote:

I always put my car rentals on my USAA Amex.  Mostly because I also have USAA auto insurance and USAA umbrella insurance, so if it comes to subrogation, they can fight it out amongst themselves.  Let the best USAA insurance department win!! Smiley Wink

Exactly the same with me

Message 9 of 33
Lyythine
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Lyythine wrote:

Exactly the same with me

copycat. Smiley Happy  Its a solid plan though!

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.