cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what card do you use for car rentals?

tag
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

Re: what card do you use for car rentals?

@bigblue7722 wrote:

So what card do you use for car rentals and why? Which card has the best deal on rental insurance?

I've only rented a car once (before CSP was primary), and I used AMEX's premium protection and Hertz's liability only coverage, I had the car for 3 weeks, 24.99 was flat fee from AMEX, and IIRC the liability was 30.xx . Incidentally, I had someone hit the rental with a shopping cart in a parking lot leaving a really nasty scratch (with paint off) and AMEX resolved the claim in less than 2 days. 

https://www295.americanexpress.com/premium/car-rental-insurance-coverage/home.do

It's really not a bad deal. Plus, as an aside, I would trust AMEX over Chase's provider (disclosure:  I'm canceling CSP here in a few weeks)

I've heard nothing bad about USAA, either! Smiley Happy Good luck deciding!

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 11 of 33
Leadberry
Established Contributor

+1 for Amex Premium Rental Car Protection. You really have to compare the coverage limits and exclusions to the competition to understand how much of a deal it is.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 12 of 33
Involver
Valued Contributor

CSP.
Message 13 of 33
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@bigblue7722 wrote:

So what card do you use for car rentals and why? Which card has the best deal on rental insurance?

Haven't had to do it yet, but the CSP gives primary renters insurance over your own insurance is my understanding as long as you put the rental on the card.. Sounds fair to me.  Plus I assume you get 2x points as well.  So this is the card I will use over seas for rentals.. No FTF's, primary renters insurance and 2x.

I concur ... CSP for the reasons above.  An additional reason is Chase Visa Signature Cards cover Ireland, Israel & Jamaica, countries that are excluded by nearly every other card.  That benefit applies to a narrow market, but it saved me about $400 in Ireland last year, and it will save the same, if not more in Israel this year. 

Message 14 of 33
Lyythine
Established Contributor

Ya know where none of my cards covered... Albania!  However, once I drove through Albania this past summer, I quickly realized why they wouldnt insure the car... Lovely country, just leaves a bit to be desired in the "public infrastucture" department.  

Message 15 of 33
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

@Lyythine wrote:

Ya know where none of my cards covered... Albania!  However, once I drove through Albania this past summer, I quickly realized why they wouldnt insure the car... Lovely country, just leaves a bit to be desired in the "public infrastucture" department.  

Interesting... Chase Visa Sigs actually have no countries excluded .... so if you ever go back to Albania ....

Message 16 of 33
Lyythine
Established Contributor

@sillykitty1 wrote:

@Lyythine wrote:

Interesting... Chase Visa Sigs actually have no countries excluded .... so if you ever go back to Albania ....

Really?  I will definitely check it out if I ever go again. Thanks!

I meet my best friend, who lives in Ukraine in Montenegro every spring/summer and we always stay near Kotor and take a trip to a new balkans city we havent yet discovered. Last year was a trip through Albania and ending in Macedonia.

Message 17 of 33
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

I don't own a vehicle. 

I rent and use car-shares on a regular basis.

For liability, I have Progressive non-owner insurance.

As for credit cards, I use whichever gives me best rewards. When ShopDiscover was alive, I used Discover for Enterprise, and CSP for Avis / Budget. 

This quarter, I'm using Discover on all. 

Since I don't have comprehensive, any collision makes my CC insurance primary. Did not need to use them, touchwood. 

Message 18 of 33
Lyythine
Established Contributor

knock on wood?  touch wood just has other conotations...

Message 19 of 33
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Lyythine wrote:

knock on wood?  touch wood just has other conotations...

Smiley Very Happy

Should have expected that !

Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.