cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what citi cards are the best and why?

tag
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: what citi cards are the best and why?

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

im currently in the garden (6-12mnths) i have a short credit history and started in march with a reg cap one platinum MC. applied 2 weeks ago got apporved for 3 cards (others listed below) out of 5 apps so id say im doing pretty good. but next year i really want a citi. so which are the best and why?

also what does city like for minimum credit history to apporve a card and who do they usually pull?

To me, this is the wrong way around.   Look for a good card, and not "I need something from Citi".   There are lots of banks out there, and you really don't need to "collect them all".  Really!   Some people here are fond of cliches such as "Credit is a marathon, not a sprint" (almost makes me throw up for just typing it!) but it's not even that.  It should be a series of well-reasoned decisions, which get reevaluated as your needs and available cards change.

Wanting a card from Citi without knowing if one suits you  is not all that different from deciding "I want a red card, a blue card etc"

That said: as always the choice depends on your goals and spend.   Simplicity is OK if you want a BT (but look at Chase Slate), Prestige is good if you can make use of the travel benefits, especially on AA, or the new transfer partners, and similarly with the Prestige.   AA cards are good if you want AA points (though look at Amex SPG)

While that is true I feel you should spread the love and go for more banks. I have little Value for Thank you points but Private pass is worth it alone. Got Tickets for a few shows already with Citi private pass 

I am not the biggest fan of citi cards, but i do like their AA cards 2 "free" RT tickets to anywhere in US for minimal spending. I am however not really that big of an fan of their TYP program, the cards have really steep AF, and I don't put enough spending through those cards to make it worthwhile imo. 

I have no use for TYP either and just going to stock pile them and then buy stuff on amazon lol. Private pass is a nice perk and I like to get a card from every major bank Smiley Happy 

They have some interesting partners , but the cards you need to transfer to airline partners have pretty high AF not worth it for me since i wouldn't put six figures thru that card. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 11 of 41
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

I have no use for TYP either and just going to stock pile them and then buy stuff on amazon lol. Private pass is a nice perk and I like to get a card from every major bank Smiley Happy 

OK, do it your way!

Message 12 of 41
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

While that is true I feel you should spread the love and go for more banks. I have little Value for Thank you points but Private pass is worth it alone. Got Tickets for a few shows already with Citi private pass 

Yes, and others value building relationships with a very small set of banks.   I go wherever the "good" (for me) cards are.

Thank You points aren't great if you have just the Preferred.  Better with the higher tier cards.

My Goto cards will probably be my CSP, Freedom , Amex Everyday at Costco and Marriott card at Marriott. I like to diverse myself though lol. Plus Private pass has it's uses for me to just have a TYP card 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 13 of 41
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

im currently in the garden (6-12mnths) i have a short credit history and started in march with a reg cap one platinum MC. applied 2 weeks ago got apporved for 3 cards (others listed below) out of 5 apps so id say im doing pretty good. but next year i really want a citi. so which are the best and why?

also what does city like for minimum credit history to apporve a card and who do they usually pull?

The only citi card I have at the moment is the AA exec card which I got for the 100k signup offer and I am keeping it for the full year. Im not interested in the Citi TY points cards. I dunno they just do not interest me. My next citi card will be the hilton card, since it will give me gold status with Hilton. Beyond that I maybe pick up an AA card here and there to get the signup offers and free checked bag. I do want to keep at least one citi card in my portfolio at all times, since I believe its important to have a number of lenders in case of an unforeseen AA. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 14 of 41
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

My DG really enjoys her Simplicity card, espeically the BT offers.  She doesn't care about points or anything so I get to spend them when she gets enough.  I wouldnt mind a Citi card when they'll have me.  Once my BK gets out to 7+ years I'll see what they offer and go from there. 

Message 15 of 41
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

All I will say to this post is...don't put all your eggs in one basket!! Or apply for credit you don't necessarily need at the moment. One day you will find yourself needing that 0% offer and not have a card available to apply for that offers it!!!

I have the Simplicity card. It's not really a great BT card...it never offers 0% APR. It's always 3 or 4% with a 3% transfer fee. I get better offers from Chase and Discover than I do from Citi. It has a nice credit limit but that's pretty much it.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 16 of 41
red259
Super Contributor

@maiden_girl wrote:

All I will say to this post is...don't put all your eggs in one basket!! Or apply for credit you don't necessarily need at the moment. One day you will fine yourself needing that 0% offer and not have a card available to apply for that offers it!!!

I have the Simplicity card. It's not really a great BT card...it never offers 0% APR. It's always 3 or 4% with a 3% transfer fee. I get better offers from Chase and Discover than I do from Citi. It has a nice credit limit but that's pretty much it.

+1 It would be somewhat foolish to rush out and apply for all the 0% APR cards at once. Its good to have options in a pinch if you get overextended to be able to BT your balances and pay it off in time. Much better than the alternative....

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 17 of 41
ADARPegasus
Established Contributor

I have the Citi Premier Card with Thank You Rewards. They offer 50,000 Bonus points but you get 20000 when you spend $2000 in first year and 30000 bonus points after you spend $3000 in your second year of being a cardholder and spending $3000 in the first 3 months of second year! I like the card and they give a generous limit!

Transunion - 788 05/16
Experian - 745 05/16
Equifax - 740 05/16
Message 18 of 41
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

I do like Citi since they are offering me my highest limit so can't complain Smiley Very Happy   They also have a SP CLI so I like them for that 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 19 of 41
ADARPegasus
Established Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

I do like Citi since they are offering me my highest limit so can't complain Smiley Very Happy   They also have a SP CLI so I like them for that 

Agreed! There the highest limit card i have!

Transunion - 788 05/16
Experian - 745 05/16
Equifax - 740 05/16
Message 20 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.