Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what do u want? new credit card or credit limit increase

tag
mousefai
New Contributor

what do u want? new credit card or credit limit increase

i just have a curious question to ask people in the group.

Let assume both require a hard pull, do you rather want a increase in limit or a brand new card?

if possible, please also state your reason.

thanks. 

HSBC PREMIER WORLD MASTERCARD- 12000 LIMITS, PENFED- 2500 LIMITS, DISCOVER IT- 10000 LIMITS, CHASE FREEDOM- 3500 LIMITS, USAA MASTERCARD- 6500 LIMITS, CHASE SAPPHIRE- 7000 LIMITS, AMEX BLUE CASH EVERYDAY- 8000 LIMITS, US BANKS VISA PLATINUM- 5000 LIMITS, BARCLAY REWARD- 1500 LIMITS, WELLS FARGO VISA SIGNATURE- 5000 LIMITS, NORSTORM VISA- 5000 LIMITS, SUNTRUST- 1500 LIMITS

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Zz_JC_zZ
New Contributor

Re: what do u want? new credit card or credit limit increase

I just got 2 new cards. So I would prefer the CLI on my current. I am planning on gardening for a year to let my cards age before I look for anything new
Starting Score (July 2013) Exp 665 Equ 658 TU 660
Current Score (Feb 2015) Exp: ??? Equ: 765 TU: 776

Amex BCE ($12,000) Discover It ($7,400) Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2,250) Cap1 Platinum ($4,500) Express Next ($1,450)
Message 2 of 30
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

Well i guess it depends on what I have vs what card I want. 

If it's a card on my list - CSP, BCE, United Club, then i'll take the new card, otherwise I'll take a CLI.

Message 3 of 30
dta
New Contributor

If the CLI difference and new card CL are the same, and the new card offered nothing worthwhile, I'd say a CLI, since it should only positively affect my score, whereas a new card would affect AAoA.

Freedom | BofA CR | Amex BCE | NFCU CR | CSP | Fidelity Amex | Citi AA Plat | Discover it | Amex PRG | US Airways Prem | SW RR Plus | Delta Gold | Citi Double Cash | WF Propel 360 | Chase BA
Message 4 of 30
mousefai
New Contributor

"I'd say a CLI, since it should only positively affect my score, whereas a new card would affect AAoA."

NICE point u make there, i wll take it a consideration. ...

HSBC PREMIER WORLD MASTERCARD- 12000 LIMITS, PENFED- 2500 LIMITS, DISCOVER IT- 10000 LIMITS, CHASE FREEDOM- 3500 LIMITS, USAA MASTERCARD- 6500 LIMITS, CHASE SAPPHIRE- 7000 LIMITS, AMEX BLUE CASH EVERYDAY- 8000 LIMITS, US BANKS VISA PLATINUM- 5000 LIMITS, BARCLAY REWARD- 1500 LIMITS, WELLS FARGO VISA SIGNATURE- 5000 LIMITS, NORSTORM VISA- 5000 LIMITS, SUNTRUST- 1500 LIMITS

Message 5 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

If the new card has a sign up bonus, then that is a good use of an HP.   The financial value of a CLI is hard to measure, but probably "very small".  

Message 6 of 30
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Agreeing with longtimelurker. Sign up bonus, yes new cc. No sign up bonus and no rewards, CLI
Message 7 of 30
eddie84
Valued Contributor

I already have a bunch of cards.  Don't need anymore to look after.  CLI for me please... Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 30
mikey78
Frequent Contributor

@eddie84 wrote:

I already have a bunch of cards.  Don't need anymore to look after.  CLI for me please... Smiley Tongue

Yes I agree with ^ CLI for me I have enough cards and even though i did want to carry an AMEX card
it's not something I really need ATM,  and I may have too many cards to be honest
it's a hassle juggling 4 cards and seeing the balances approach 300 makes me feel quite burdensome to PIF Smiley Very Happy

Current score TU 708, EX 686 EQ 715
Status I.T.Garden Till 08/2014
Message 9 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@mikey78 wrote:

@eddie84 wrote:

Yes I agree with ^ CLI for me I have enough cards and even though i did want to carry an AMEX card
it's not something I really need ATM,  and I may have too many cards to be honest
it's a hassle juggling 4 cards and seeing the balances approach 300 makes me feel quite burdensome to PIF Smiley Very Happy

OK, I should have added that if you have a card or cards that you want to use, but with a low CL so you are paying multiple times a month, then a CLI might be a good idea (it will save you a bit of time, so there's the value!)   But otherwise....

As for juggling:   I have about 15 cards (some of which aren't used) and it's not a hassle.   You set auto-pay to PIF on due date, and then adjust for utilization if you want.  

Some here have many more cards and do detailed tracking in a way *I* would call OCD but they probably refer to as sound financial management!

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.