Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what do u want? new credit card or credit limit increase

tag
Dubious
Frequent Contributor

Re: what do u want? new credit card or credit limit increase

I wouldn't bother with paying the same card multiple times a month. So if my limits were so low I'd be in that position, then I'd seek CLI first. 

Message 21 of 30
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@mikey78 wrote:

@eddie84 wrote:

I already have a bunch of cards.  Don't need anymore to look after.  CLI for me please... Smiley Tongue

Yes I agree with ^ CLI for me I have enough cards and even though i did want to carry an AMEX card
it's not something I really need ATM,  and I may have too many cards to be honest
it's a hassle juggling 4 cards and seeing the balances approach 300 makes me feel quite burdensome to PIF Smiley Very Happy

OK, I should have added that if you have a card or cards that you want to use, but with a low CL so you are paying multiple times a month, then a CLI might be a good idea (it will save you a bit of time, so there's the value!)   But otherwise....

As for juggling:   I have about 15 cards (some of which aren't used) and it's not a hassle.   You set auto-pay to PIF on due date, and then adjust for utilization if you want.  

Some here have many more cards and do detailed tracking in a way *I* would call OCD but they probably refer to as sound financial management!

LOL !!  Good one longtimelurker...

I track mine vigorously with sound financial management Robot Very Happy

Message 22 of 30
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 23 of 30
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@09Lexie wrote:
Yep, he was talking about you FinStar. Smiley LOL

LOL... so true though  ...  Wonder how Ron tracks his 1,000 CCs?

Message 24 of 30
370Z
Frequent Contributor

CLI. It's much more impressive to have a few cards with high limits than many cards with the same total limit. That is, unless you are a churner or card collector.

6 cards x $50,000 >>> 60 cards x $5,000

EQ8 817 (3/24) EQ9 850 (1/24) EX8 828 (4/24) EX9 848 (4/24) TU8 819 (3/24)
Chase_Hyatt|10k|15.24%|6/13 * Amex_Hilton|10k|13.99%|8/13 * Chase_IHG|10k|15.24%|1/14 * Chase_Ink$|12k|13.24%|5/14 * NFCU$|46k|9.65%|12/14 * Amex_ED|10k|12.99%|1/16 * Citi_Custom$|45k|15.24%|4/16 * Merrill+|68k|12.99%|2/17 * Amex_BB+|10k|15.24%|3/18 * PenFed_Pathfinder|29.4k|12.74%|9/18 * WF_Autograph|25k|16.99%|7/19 * AODFCU_VS|22k|7.49%|4/20 * Chase_Ritz_Carlton|48.5k|15.99%|10/21 * Amex_BB$|42k|13.24%|8/22 * Redstone_FCU_VS|10k|12.00%|6/23 * C1_VX|30k|14.74%|1/24
Gone: CSP, AA x3, Ink+, Premier, CSR, CFU, CF, AARP, Limitless
Message 25 of 30
RushXTC
Established Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@mikey78 wrote:

@eddie84 wrote:

I already have a bunch of cards.  Don't need anymore to look after.  CLI for me please... Smiley Tongue

Yes I agree with ^ CLI for me I have enough cards and even though i did want to carry an AMEX card
it's not something I really need ATM,  and I may have too many cards to be honest
it's a hassle juggling 4 cards and seeing the balances approach 300 makes me feel quite burdensome to PIF Smiley Very Happy

OK, I should have added that if you have a card or cards that you want to use, but with a low CL so you are paying multiple times a month, then a CLI might be a good idea (it will save you a bit of time, so there's the value!)   But otherwise....

As for juggling:   I have about 15 cards (some of which aren't used) and it's not a hassle.   You set auto-pay to PIF on due date, and then adjust for utilization if you want.  

Some here have many more cards and do detailed tracking in a way *I* would call OCD but they probably refer to as sound financial management!

*sigh* I too fall in this category... I can't help but check all my accounts daily..... (I have a LOT too...) and I check them MULTIPLE times a day and give random payments to be on the safe side.

I'm super paranoid that with all of these cards, I will miss a payment and ruin my credit after having worked so hard on it.

Message 26 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

This sort of thing comes from my job with a very big company.  From time to time, they have an "energize the troops" kind of thing and come out with vacuous mission and vision statements.  A recent one contained, along with some innovative concepts as "focus on the customers' needs" (oops, shouldn't have given away THAT secret!), had a call to do away with bureaucracy.  Great idea.

Amazingly enough, when you actually talk to an apparent culprit, it seems that there actually is no bureaucracy.   What might appear to be some, such as requiring a SVP (earning $1M or more) to sign off on every purchase no matter how small, turns out to be sound financial practice.

Message 27 of 30
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@mousefai wrote:

i just have a curious question to ask people in the group.

Let assume both require a hard pull, do you rather want a increase in limit or a brand new card?

if possible, please also state your reason.

No single answer for that.  Depends on the specific situation.  Am I shopping for another card for whatever reason(s)?  I wouldn't just blindly select one option or the other.

@dta wrote:

If the CLI difference and new card CL are the same, and the new card offered nothing worthwhile, I'd say a CLI, since it should only positively affect my score, whereas a new card would affect AAoA.

As an AmEx member that's not an issue if I get another AmEx card.  My AmEx membership is older than my non-AmEx cards.  As I said, too many variables at play to give a one-size-fits-all answer even just for me.  If I'm considering a revolver then there's always the 3X CLI.

Message 28 of 30
missjae
Established Contributor

@mousefai wrote:

i just have a curious question to ask people in the group.

Let assume both require a hard pull, do you rather want a increase in limit or a brand new card?

if possible, please also state your reason.

thanks. 

Assuming I had all of the cards I want, I'd take a CLI over a new card.  The new TL would lower my AAoA.  A CLI would give me a higher limit, eliminating the need for a bunch of cards.  The only exception would be Amex because of the backdating.

In the past, I always got new cards hoping for higher limits.  I'm at a point now where I'm getting the cards I want, getting rid of what I don't, and trying to maintain what I have.

Message 29 of 30
parakleet
Valued Contributor

This is one of those questions where there really is no right answer because it depends. It depends on a person's overall profile, their goals for CCs, etc.

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.