cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what happens if you don't "Activate" your card?

tag
distantarray
Established Contributor

what happens if you don't "Activate" your card?

Don't tell me it doesn't work cause it does Smiley Tongue

I tried it on my Chase and Amex cards, as well as Capital One etc. Forgot to activate the card, and used my Capital One card in the past, and went through worked fine...... so I tried it on others and it all works without calling in or logging on to "activate the card" So question is what in the world is the point?

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
learnin113
Established Contributor

Re: what happens if you don't "Activate" your card?

I have to concur on this one...did it a million times.
Message 2 of 20
Cleanmachine
Frequent Contributor

It is my understanding if the credit card is new, it must be activated in order to use it.

On the other hand, if the credit card is a renewal the only reason to activate it is to show that you received it.

So much for security......

Message 3 of 20
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

The credit card companies want to use the time that you call in to cross sell you on additional products such as "wallet protector"
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 20
TheConductor
Established Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
The credit card companies want to use the time that you call in to cross sell you on additional products such as "wallet protector"

True in some cases, but not all. AmEx didn't upsell me anything, nor did Chase on my debit card (though I may find out they do differently for credit when I activate my Freedom). 

The main thing activation does for the companies is verify that the card is in the hands of the person it was delivered to. It also verifies your phone number for them if you activate via phone. The accounts are typically active already, but these little bits of data housekeeping make the people in their risk management departments very happy.  Smiley Happy

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 5 of 20
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

+1

Message 6 of 20
Epcot
Valued Contributor

When I called in to activate my Chase Disney card they didn't try to offer or sell anything. Although I did ask for a CLI. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 7 of 20
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

+1

when I called to activate my WF card, they tried to sell me a private banking and financial consultant. I was like "Really? it is the cash back COLLEGE visa with a $600 limit...do I really sound like I need that?!?!?!" 

Message 8 of 20
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@Epcot wrote:
When I called in to activate my Chase Disney card they didn't try to offer or sell anything. Although I did ask for a CLI. Smiley Happy

Smiley Very Happy I saw that thread, congrats again. It is exactly what I did to my freedom. I didn't get another HP, they used the one that is already pulled.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 9 of 20
scarrollprint
Frequent Contributor

I had a debit card mailed to me once after about 10 days I didn't get it, I was on my online account for something esle and saw all these random charges that didn't look familiar. Asked the wifey she said she didn't see the card come nor had she even used her card lately. Called the bank to dispute the charges, they confirmed it was on the new card and not the wifes card and since the card was never activated they would cancel the card, flag it to be held and notified(which I guess tells the retailer to not give the card to the person and to call the cops/bank? I'm guessing) and that all charges would be reversed immediatly and that if I had any overdraft fees that occured due to this they would be refunded (which luckily I didn't the guy appears to have only been testing the card - a dollar here a dollar there). From now on though, any time we get a new debit card, we have to pick it up at a branch and show ID an all that when we have a new card issued, which luckily is only once every couple years.

Current: Eq- 624 Ex - 631 (lender pulled) TU - 661 (lender pulled)
Goal 700+ across all three
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.