Established Member

what if I never activate the credit card?

I’m curious to know if anyone here knows what happens when you apply for a new credit card, get accepted, receive it in the mail, but never call to activate it.  I know the application process resulted in a look at my credit score, but interested in knowing what happens if I never activate the card, destroy it and just forget the whole thing.  Any ideas?

Senior Contributor

Re: what if I never activate the credit card?

[ Edited ]

It may vary with lender,  Generally, I think you get a CC account, but you won't be able to use the card.  Just like you cut up your credit card, account is still open. 

Established Contributor

The bank will start calling you million times a day, and if u still not show them any response they will close the account. At least BoA does that.

Established Member

It’s American Express, and it’s the authorized user card.  My wife applied for the card in her name and got a 2nd card in my name, and had to enter my Social Security Number. 

I don’t need/want the card, and not sure how the whole authorized user thing shows-up on my own credit score/report, so was just considering not even activating it in the hopes that it’d never hit my credit report, it’d just disappear :-)

If she has to call and cancel it,  then I don’t really wanna have that open account, and then closed 14 days later scenario appear on my card on my report.

Valued Contributor

Pulling an "ostrich" and hiding your head in the sand is not the way to handle this. I would just call AMEX and discuss. 

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

700 Club
Established Member

I’m not suggesting anything sneaky or ostrich-like, just curious to know what happens (process-wise) as talking with American Express customer service doesn’t always help the situation, just triggers them to try an corner you into keeping the account.  They're not in the business of letting people off the hook for getting cold feet :-)

Valued Contributor

Im confused, I am assuming the account is not getting closed. You just dont want the AU card, right? Seems pretty cut and dry for me. 

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

700 Club
Epic Contributor

in my experience amex is very bad about stopping reporting auth cards to credit even after they have been cancelled.  Why would you want to cancel an american express reporting to your credit though?

Fico Scores: EQ- 670., TU 710 Sync, EX 728 SoFi(05/04/15)
I'm just trying to catch up to RON1
95 Cards and Counting Smiley Tongue
Established Member

yes, ngerasimatos that’s correct, I don’t want the authorized user card, and I just assumed if I never activated it then it’d never show-up on my credit report, I wasn’t sure so figured I’d ask the myfico experts here  :-)

so if I don’t want the authorized user card, what do you suggest?  should I just call and cancel it?  you said it seems cut & dry, thanks

Established Member

creditaddict, I just don’t want the authorized user card, I have plenty of other cards already, no need for more  :-)

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.