Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is a preferred card?

tag
lionsfan20
Regular Contributor

what is a preferred card?

Dont really understand the difference between a regular and preferred care. Just by the name Im assuming its harder to get or something but not really sure whats the difference.

Thanks for the responses

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Re: what is a preferred card?

Just a gimmick

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 2 of 9
lionsfan20
Regular Contributor

so theres no difference rewards wise or getting it wise for the saphire or saphire preferred

Message 3 of 9
kekrre
Contributor

@lionsfan20 wrote:

so theres no difference rewards wise or getting it wise for the saphire or saphire preferred

The Sapphire Preferred offers/adds the ability to consolidate points from the Chase Freedom and the ability to transfer them to partner programs (e.g. United, Southwest, Marriott, etc.), 0% foreign transaction fee, a 7% points dividend at the end of the year and a $95 annual fee.

While we can't be certain, it is certainly possible that the underwriting for the Preferred and regular card are the same. The Preferred has a minimum credit limit of $5000 (which does not require -that- significant an income to get, with good credit) - I'm not certain if the regular card has a minimum.

Essentially, the difference is whether the added benefits are worth the annual fee to you.

However, in general terms, "preferred" is just a marketing term. It'd be like asking "what is a "Limited" model car?" - different manufacturers will offer different features at the same model level.

|||||||
Message 4 of 9
distantarray
Established Contributor

@kekrre wrote:

@lionsfan20 wrote:

The Sapphire Preferred offers/adds the ability to consolidate points from the Chase Freedom and the ability to transfer them to partner programs (e.g. United, Southwest, Marriott, etc.), 0% foreign transaction fee, a 7% points dividend at the end of the year and a $95 annual fee.

While we can't be certain, it is certainly possible that the underwriting for the Preferred and regular card are the same. The Preferred has a minimum credit limit of $5000 (which does not require -that- significant an income to get, with good credit) - I'm not certain if the regular card has a minimum.

Essentially, the difference is whether the added benefits are worth the annual fee to you.

However, in general terms, "preferred" is just a marketing term. It'd be like asking "what is a "Limited" model car?" - different manufacturers will offer different features at the same model level.

i wouldn't say it's just a marketing gimmick, but Sapphire card is not a good card without the preferred perks. There is an annual fee but especially if you have checking and a freedom card it makes it pretty lucrative, and through normal spending as long as you use your points for travel you should MORE than make up for the annual fee for most middle class families.

You also forgot to mention freedom points at sapphire preferred gets 25% travel bonus, so if you get 5 points + 25% that's 6.25 respectively. Also sapphire preferred gets 7% bonus at the end of the year. Making their 2.67% and 1.337% for everything else for travel. Making it one pretty decent card. with 0% foreign transaction fees, and being able to get a live person on the line at anytime, and I even use the Sapphire number for my Freedom card concerns and they always help me out just fine. Not sure if all the purchase protections are on the basic card as well. Chase has 90 day pricematch upto $500 and Amex and Citi only has to $250 and 60 days I think (correct me if I'm wrong) 1 year additional warrenty etc. and you won't get the sexy metal card lol.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 5 of 9
bribro
Valued Contributor

"Preferred" is just a marketing term used by credit card companies to differentiate their higher end products. It doesn't have any technical meaning, but it's generally used for the "premium" version of a card that has an annual fee coupled with additional benefits. Examples would be AmEx's Blue Cash Everyday vs. the Blue Cash Preferred and Chase's Sapphire vs. Sapphire Preferred.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 6 of 9
SpiceIslander
Frequent Contributor

@Repo-ed wrote:

Just a gimmick

Amen to that! It reminds me of the old "gold" & "platinum" gimmicks. LOL! Now even Cap One starter cards are platinum. I guess preferred is the new platinum!Smiley LOL

Meg.

FICO: 4/2016 - TU 841 | EQ 840 | EX 837

FNBO 23,600 | Amex SPG 13,900 | Amex BCP 13,400 | Barclays/Sallie Mae13,000 | Discover IT 12,500 | Lowes 10,000 | PLOC 9,300 | NASA FCU 8,700 | Citi Simplicity 6,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900
Message 7 of 9
distantarray
Established Contributor

@SpiceIslander wrote:

@Repo-ed wrote:

Just a gimmick

Amen to that! It reminds me of the old "gold" & "platinum" gimmicks. LOL! Now even Cap One starter cards are platinum. I guess preferred is the new platinum!Smiley LOL

more like pays an annual fee =P

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 8 of 9
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

@kekrre wrote:

@lionsfan20 wrote:

Last I heard from underwriting, both required a minimum $5K approval and did have the same requirements. And when I had a branch pre-approval for Sapphire, it was good for either choice.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.