Reply
Regular Contributor
Posts: 207
Registered: ‎11-26-2012
0

what is a preferred card?

Dont really understand the difference between a regular and preferred care. Just by the name Im assuming its harder to get or something but not really sure whats the difference.

 

Thanks for the responses

Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,982
Registered: ‎02-09-2012
0

Re: what is a preferred card?

Just a gimmick

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board and $500 secured CC
12/2014: 750+ scores across the board and $80k in revolving credit

Get those baddies removed!!!
Regular Contributor
Posts: 207
Registered: ‎11-26-2012
0

Re: what is a preferred card?

so theres no difference rewards wise or getting it wise for the saphire or saphire preferred

Contributor
Posts: 91
Registered: ‎10-31-2012
0

Re: what is a preferred card?

[ Edited ]

lionsfan20 wrote:

so theres no difference rewards wise or getting it wise for the saphire or saphire preferred


The Sapphire Preferred offers/adds the ability to consolidate points from the Chase Freedom and the ability to transfer them to partner programs (e.g. United, Southwest, Marriott, etc.), 0% foreign transaction fee, a 7% points dividend at the end of the year and a $95 annual fee.

 

While we can't be certain, it is certainly possible that the underwriting for the Preferred and regular card are the same. The Preferred has a minimum credit limit of $5000 (which does not require -that- significant an income to get, with good credit) - I'm not certain if the regular card has a minimum.

 

Essentially, the difference is whether the added benefits are worth the annual fee to you.

 

 

 

However, in general terms, "preferred" is just a marketing term. It'd be like asking "what is a "Limited" model car?" - different manufacturers will offer different features at the same model level.

Established Contributor
Posts: 2,112
Registered: ‎09-25-2011
0

Re: what is a preferred card?


kekrre wrote:

lionsfan20 wrote:

so theres no difference rewards wise or getting it wise for the saphire or saphire preferred


The Sapphire Preferred offers/adds the ability to consolidate points from the Chase Freedom and the ability to transfer them to partner programs (e.g. United, Southwest, Marriott, etc.), 0% foreign transaction fee, a 7% points dividend at the end of the year and a $95 annual fee.

 

While we can't be certain, it is certainly possible that the underwriting for the Preferred and regular card are the same. The Preferred has a minimum credit limit of $5000 (which does not require -that- significant an income to get, with good credit) - I'm not certain if the regular card has a minimum.

 

Essentially, the difference is whether the added benefits are worth the annual fee to you.

 

 

 

However, in general terms, "preferred" is just a marketing term. It'd be like asking "what is a "Limited" model car?" - different manufacturers will offer different features at the same model level.


i wouldn't say it's just a marketing gimmick, but Sapphire card is not a good card without the preferred perks. There is an annual fee but especially if you have checking and a freedom card it makes it pretty lucrative, and through normal spending as long as you use your points for travel you should MORE than make up for the annual fee for most middle class families.

 

You also forgot to mention freedom points at sapphire preferred gets 25% travel bonus, so if you get 5 points + 25% that's 6.25 respectively. Also sapphire preferred gets 7% bonus at the end of the year. Making their 2.67% and 1.337% for everything else for travel. Making it one pretty decent card. with 0% foreign transaction fees, and being able to get a live person on the line at anytime, and I even use the Sapphire number for my Freedom card concerns and they always help me out just fine. Not sure if all the purchase protections are on the basic card as well. Chase has 90 day pricematch upto $500 and Amex and Citi only has to $250 and 60 days I think (correct me if I'm wrong) 1 year additional warrenty etc. and you won't get the sexy metal card lol.


total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,367
Registered: ‎04-20-2012
0

Re: what is a preferred card?

[ Edited ]

"Preferred" is just a marketing term used by credit card companies to differentiate their higher end products. It doesn't have any technical meaning, but it's generally used for the "premium" version of a card that has an annual fee coupled with additional benefits. Examples would be AmEx's Blue Cash Everyday vs. the Blue Cash Preferred and Chase's Sapphire vs. Sapphire Preferred.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Regular Contributor
Posts: 369
Registered: ‎02-01-2010
0

Re: what is a preferred card?


Repo-ed wrote:

Just a gimmick


Amen to that! It reminds me of the old "gold" & "platinum" gimmicks. LOL! Now even Cap One starter cards are platinum. I guess preferred is the new platinum!:smileylol:

Meg.

FICO: 03/2015 - TU 768 | EQ 783 | EX 775

FNBO 15,100 | Barclays / Sallie Mae World MC 13,000 | Lowes 10,000 | LOC 9,300 | Amex BCP 7,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Amex SPG 5,700 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Discover IT 5,500 | Citi Simplicity 5,200 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900
Established Contributor
Posts: 2,112
Registered: ‎09-25-2011
0

Re: what is a preferred card?


SpiceIslander wrote:

Repo-ed wrote:

Just a gimmick


Amen to that! It reminds me of the old "gold" & "platinum" gimmicks. LOL! Now even Cap One starter cards are platinum. I guess preferred is the new platinum!:smileylol:


more like pays an annual fee =P


total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 358
Registered: ‎06-25-2012
0

Re: what is a preferred card?


kekrre wrote:

lionsfan20 wrote:

so theres no difference rewards wise or getting it wise for the saphire or saphire preferred


While we can't be certain, it is certainly possible that the underwriting for the Preferred and regular card are the same. The Preferred has a minimum credit limit of $5000 (which does not require -that- significant an income to get, with good credit) - I'm not certain if the regular card has a minimum.


Last I heard from underwriting, both required a minimum $5K approval and did have the same requirements. And when I had a branch pre-approval for Sapphire, it was good for either choice.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.