Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is black card?

tag
milkshakes
Regular Contributor

Re: what is black card?

i honestly think OP's friend's date had the Visa black card. if it was the centurion, she probably wouldve noticed the distinct amex logo as well.

the majority of us here on FICO know the majority of the two and benefits (or in the Visa Black Card's case, lack thereof) tied to them, but the average person on the street has no clue. and the black card sure does a great job at hiding its shortcomings as an actual reward card with its luxurious look and feel.

12k                    10k                     5k                 12.5k (AU)                 6k                   NPSL                   12k
Message 41 of 61
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

They don't "make" you. They simply offer you the card if you spend about $200k+ on a Platinum yearly. In all honesty this card is mostly a gimmick - it does have some perks but it really is a lifestyle status symbol. Once you obtain it, as long as you pay the $2500 AF yearly, they won't take it away. $200k/year is an enourmous amount for many/most. But, for some wealthy people, it can easily be funding their typical daily lifestyle (travel + spend). Amex wanted to find a way to make these people feel "special". The Centurion Card was the answer. That being said, I know a couple of wealthy people that could likely qualify but just keep a standard Platinum card and run a lot through airport cards to gain miles with their preferred airline. It is really all up to what people feel works best for them. +1. Mostly good information here, although they've made it much more difficult to obtain invitations in recent years as Amex was concerned about the watering-down of the centurion brand. 200k is definitely too low for an invite these days.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 42 of 61
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

Message 43 of 61
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

funny funny funny

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 44 of 61
Shock
Established Contributor

I saw the black card on its website...makes me wonder if this card is even a Visa Signature because it isnt illustrated as such.

photo myfico_zpsd00088cb.jpg
Message 45 of 61
Cookie2120987
Frequent Contributor

Amex centruim is amazing to hold... Will I ever get one... Most likely not lol. One of my teachers while I was in Culinary school had it though and was ALWAYS flashing it. He had a very high net wealth and a lot properties, his wife was also wealthy. 

Ill also add even though he SAID it was a personal it could have been a business version of  centruim.

regardless is was awesome to even hold. Smiley Happy

Message 46 of 61
negg
Frequent Contributor

Let's not forget the other black CC.  Marriott rewards is black.   Btw forgot who was asking.  The Marriott give you one free night at cat 4 or lower when you sign up then every year you get one night in a cat 5 hotel. Points rack up fast on this card. 

CSR.........11,900.......Delta Amex $11,200.........Marriott Rewards Premier $8000.......Discover IT $9700......Citi Preferred $8600.......Chase Freedom $10,800.....Barclay(apple) $11,600......BofA $1500.......Capital One $7400......FNO $9800......Barclay(Hawaiian airlines)$11,000......Citi Costco $15,000. June 1st 2013 0 credit cards and 575 fico. Today 117K in credit and 812 fico and ZERO INQUIRIES......ZERO. 2018 goal. 825 fico.
Message 47 of 61
kkapdolee
Frequent Contributor

This forum seems to have gotten a lot meaner and full of sarcasm and off topic discussions lately.

[10%+] Internet, Cable, Cell phone
[5%] Gas, Grocery, Amazon, Airline tickets, Drug Stores, Dept. Stores, Target, MyHabit
[3%] Restaurants
[2%] Everything Else
Message 48 of 61
Bman70
Established Contributor

@kkapdolee wrote:

This forum seems to have gotten a lot meaner and full of sarcasm and off topic discussions lately.

I don't think it's mean or off topic.. I think this is more a forum for people with a practical approach to credit, who look at value and usefulness over other concerns like social status or the appearance of it. That's why I like the forum - people here are impressed by the Sallie Mae. Which makes a lot more sense than the Visa Black. Here's another link to the Time article that mentions it: http://business.time.com/2012/11/07/5-credit-cards-you-dont-want-to-own/

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 49 of 61
merlinflex
Frequent Contributor

How does everyone get the little credit cards to show up in their signature posts?

Message 50 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.