Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is my best option to pay off?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

what is my best option to pay off?

I have a BOA card with a balance of 579 on a 700$ limit  and I have a Home Depot Card with a 810 dollar balance on a 1K limit. I have an extra 150 this month to put towards CC debt. By paying 150 towards which balance would help my credit the most? Thank you.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: what is my best option to pay off?

go for paying off the one with the highest interest rate. 
Message 2 of 8
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Assuming interest rates are the same , pay $100 on BOA, and $50 on Home Depot.  It gets both cards under 80%

Otherwise, I would pay off higher interest rate.     

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, it doesnt matter that BOA is a major card and HD is just a store one?
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

HD APR is 29.99%  and BOA is 27.24%  WOW how high!!!
Message 5 of 8
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@Wolf3 wrote:

Assuming interest rates are the same , pay $100 on BOA, and $50 on Home Depot.  It gets both cards under 80%

Otherwise, I would pay off higher interest rate.     

Because they both have high interest rates, I would follow the above advice. Then...try to pay extra every month, or you'll be paying on these forever.
Message 6 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Jgk2383 wrote:
Thanks, it doesnt matter that BOA is a major card and HD is just a store one?

No, this is irrelevant for FICO scoring purposes.

I'd shoot for getting both under 80%, then both under 50%, then kill off the smaller balance, then get the other down. It can be tough when we live paycheck-to-paycheck, but you're obviously gonna get slaughtered on interest payments if you don't. Check your new statements when they come out. They now have to include an eye-popping chart showing how much money you pay over time, and how long it takes to get to $0 when you only pay minimums.

Once you get them paid off, get a small savings account going that you can use to pay off your cards when you have to run them up. Savings accounts might not be paying much interest these days, but not paying nearly 30% APR on a CC balance is like earning that much on savings. Smiley Wink

Good luck!

eta: LynetteM out-typed me! Smiley Very Happy
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 03-08-2010 05:20 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone, I went and did just that!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.