cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is the point of Amex charge cards, when there's blue cash credit?

tag
HiLine
Blogger

Re: what is the point of Amex charge cards, when there's blue cash credit?

@takeshi74 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

But of course, utilization is regarded on this forum as much more important than it is, if you are not apping it really doesn't matter.

Not true.  I've had credit limits dropped due to high utilization  Card company was soft pulling as many do

That must be really high utilization. 80% perhaps? Many people on here are nearly maxed out on most of their cards.

Message 31 of 36
ComputerWizMaster
New Contributor

As mentioned earlier, it all boils down to what the card offers you and if it fits into what you need.

For me I find the benefits of my Amex Plat more than pay for the Annual Fees. Once that day happens to not occur I'll stop using it and move on.

Both my Amex Plat and my NFCU Flagship ($24K limit) have enough room for me to charge all I need to charge without worry (typically charge around $2500/m). But all of the Amex perks usually make me charge there first.

Like when I cracked the screen on my Nexus 4 by dropping it and Amex promptly issued me a credit for the full purchase price. Not to mention the points transferring 1:1 to many major airlines which at one point saved me over $3K on airfare last year on one last minute trip!

Feb. 2012: TU: 677 EQ: 647 EX: 666
Aug. 2013: TU: 729 EQ: 726 EX: 697
Goal 2013+: 720+ All Three
Message 32 of 36
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Moral of the story, charge cards work for some people, not for others....

popcorn.gif

I'll let this continue Smiley Tongue 

Message 33 of 36
HiLine
Blogger

@ComputerWizMaster wrote:

Like when I cracked the screen on my Nexus 4 by dropping it and Amex promptly issued me a credit for the full purchase price. Not to mention the points transferring 1:1 to many major airlines which at one point saved me over $3K on airfare last year on one last minute trip!

Did the accident happen within 90 days of the purchase? If so, just about any credit card would cover that.... Yes, even basic Visas and Mastercards.

Message 34 of 36
ComputerWizMaster
New Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@ComputerWizMaster wrote:

Did the accident happen within 90 days of the purchase? If so, just about any credit card would cover that.... Yes, even basic Visas and Mastercards.

It did happen in the first 90 days. That being said, most Visa or MCs won't cover that.

I had an incident with damage to an item I purchased on my NFCU Visa Signature and I filed a claim with Visa. I was told by Visa that they don't cover Accidental Damage. I was shocked and I looked at this list of things Visa does cover and I considered them so weak that they are absolutely useless. I no longer use my Visa Signature for ANYTHING that I feel needs that kind of protection.

The lesson I learned was to read the details of the protection and not just the marketing friendly bullet point. Below is the Visa terms for their 90 day protection. It is IMHO useless.

Your eligible purchases
are protected against damage due to the following:

•Fire, smoke, explosion, riot, or vandalism.
•Windstorm, lightning, hail, rain, sleet, or snow.
•Aircraft, spacecraft, or other vehicles.
•Theft (except from autos or motorized vehicles).
•Accidental discharge of water or steam from household plumbing.
•Sudden accidental damage from electric current. (This benefit does not apply to electronic
components.)

Source: Visa

Feb. 2012: TU: 677 EQ: 647 EX: 666
Aug. 2013: TU: 729 EQ: 726 EX: 697
Goal 2013+: 720+ All Three
Message 35 of 36
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

+1
I've found from personal experience the Amex warranty/insurance coverages to be superior to VISA/MC. Also- Amex has been faster with less "questions asked" type service then VISA.

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 36 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.